Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

Analytical essay on A Rose for Miss Emily

tholloway 1 / 1  
I have to do an essay on A Rose for Miss Emily, I am looking at the symbols and "gothic" elements that helped set the tone and contributed to the plot. Below is just the beginning of my outline..I am at a loss of how to continue as I am not real sure I am on the right track. It has been over 10yrs since I had to write any kind of paper.please someone help me. Any thoughts are very welcome..good or bad.

Title:?
Thesis: To help set the tone of the story and to contribute to the plot of the story Faulkner employs symbolism as well as "gothic" elements.

Introduction:
A rose for miss Emily, is a story written by William Faulkner (1897-1962). In the story Faulkner tells of a woman who lives in a town that both envies and pities her. The setting of the story is in the late 1800's through the early 1900's. To help set the tone of the story and to contribute to the plot of the story Faulkner employs symbolism as well as "gothic" elements. The story starts not at the beginning but at the end with Miss. Emily's death and how the town reacted to her passing.

BODY:
Miss Emily has passed away, "a fallen monument" that left little more than a morbid curiosity for the townspeople to see the inside of her house. Miss Emily's house had once been grand but now lay in a state of decay but "lifted its stubborn and coquettish decay above the cotton wagons and the gasoline pump". In those few statements the reader gets the idea that though the house was once very grand, now the house is in a state of disrepair, and a relic of an earlier time in history. When the Board of Aldermen deputized some people to visit Miss Emily in regard to her unpaid tax bill, they were lead into the house where everything was cloaked in shadows. The house smelled of "dust and disuse-a close dank smell" this indicates to the reader that the house while in old decaying condition on the outside the inside is just as bad if not worst and that the house had been closed up for quite some time.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'm guessing this is for second-semester college composition. If so, you want to include the specific instances of symbolism and "gothic elements" you will elaborate in the body of your paper within your thesis statement.
OP tholloway 1 / 1  
yes what you said is what i need to do..I know that..but I am not sure if I am on the right track to getting that done. I am not happy with what I have done in my outline..but I am not sure where I can from there..Can some proof read and give me some direction on where to go with it from there?
Why not start with a point form outline in which you list the symbols and Gothic elements you wish to talk about?

Home / Book Reports / Analytical essay on A Rose for Miss Emily