Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Argumentative Essay based on George Orwell's book "1984"

jasmine4ever 5 / 13 1  
Hi, I'm new and I need help on this argumentative essay that we have to write in class.

Basically we have to think of our own topic and I kind of thought of one. I was thinking of an argumentative essay on totalitarianism and using fear to make a totalitarian society. I think it's okay but I can't really think of any arguments for this topic. I don't even know if this topic is an argument. Can you argue with this topic?

We don't really have to write the essay on 1984, I've decided to use 1984 as a source.

And for people who haven't read "1984" it's about this guy called Winston Smith who works in the ministry of truth. He lives in a totalitarian society where the leader, Big Brother watches your every move. Big telescreens are set everywhere. There are four classes in this society: Big brother, inner class, outer class and the proles. Winston doesn't like this society so he finds ways to rebel. He does it in small ways at first by writing in a diary. Soon few days later, Winston meets this young women Julia and they get into a relationship which B.B simply forbids them because if two people fall in love they don't remain loyal to B.B anymore. Winston and Julia rents a room assuming it is safe but unfortunately it is not safe because the thought police found them and the two of them are arrested. They are imprisoned separately in the ministry of love where O'Brien (who works in the ministry) tortures Winston until he spills the truth. Then O'Brien puts Winston in a room with his fear which is rats and Winston blames everything on Julia and then he was sent free. Couple days later, he meets Julia again and tells her that he has betrayed her. He then sits at a cafĂŠ and he realizes that he loves B.B after all.

I need all the help I can get and THANK YOU for your suggestions!!! :)
sofiagvaladze 1 / 3  
Hi there, I have read "1984" and it's really great book. To begin with Big brother reminds me Stalin very much. When I was readying it the fact that in every house was camera, seemed for me very unreal.

I thought that system can not control people so hardly. But after I have seen a documentary film, where was said than in 1930 in SSR there was line radio, that was propagandistic of course.add in every house it must be turned on loud, in the way that neighbors where eshure that you are listening it. If you not, than you would be suspected. I think that it is really interesting, because such a terror is so unbelievable.

Another interesting thing is that everybody loved Big brother. IT may seem for you unreal but loving dictators is very natural. I live in georgia where Stalin was born. and my grandmaher's generation adore Stalin, in spite of what he have done. I want to say that propaganda really works, even people who's relatives were killed love Stalin. They think that he didn't know anything about it, but someone evil killed their relatives. But the fact is that every document was signed by Stalin. So he knew what was happening. (sorry for my english, I hope it will help you a little but)
Cameron_R 1 / 1  
Nice topic, and it is controversial, but first you need to decide what part of it will you be arguing. I make the same mistake often in class, and am told constantly by my teacher that I need to be more specific, or I could end up writing for days. If you're unsure, then I'd suggest arguing the meaning of the book. You could easily bring one of Orwell's other books into the essay as well, I believe it's called "The Animal Farm" or something similar (shame on me for not knowing). That book is very anti-communism, while in 1984, Orwell seems to be saying that B.B. may seem oppressive, but in the end it's probably best. You can argue one way or another with that, and using his other works will show that you know what you're talking about. Be extremely careful with your research and I mean "extreme" literally. Orwell is studied very heavily, and many people can argue all day about him, so get your facts straight, and always have evidence. Great topic, and good luck, let me know if you need any other help.

Home / Book Reports / Argumentative Essay based on George Orwell's book "1984"