Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 6

Cannery Row Project... Steinbeck

CoLLiSioN47 1 / 2  
I need help writing my thesis and introduction. I'll write my topic and what i have to do:

The role of women is obvious in the story. We see them as trouble, or troublesome wives, or as the good-hearted prostitute. You will need to define what exactly Steinbeck's "good-hearted prostitute" is. (What does this archetype show us about women).

Here's what I have so far, tell me what to add or change:

In Cannery Row, the position of women is a feminist move done by Steinbeck. They are underestimated by being referred to as prostitutes or unruly, difficult wives. The good-hearted prostitute that Steinbeck demonstrates in the novel shows that, even though prostitutes are immoral, they are altruistic in some ways.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you're off to a good start; it just needs a little honing.

In Cannery Row, Steinbeck casts women in a feminist light by making them unruly, difficult wives and prostitutes. The good-hearted prostitute that Steinbeck describes in the novel shows that, even though prostitutes are immoral, they have an altruistic side as well.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP CoLLiSioN47 1 / 2  
Can that be my thesis or what?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

If what you gave was the entirety of the instructions, it's a little difficult to tell whether your thesis is supposed to encompass only the good-hearted prostitute or include the other types of women as well. The two sentences I suggested don't really follow as one idea from another very smoothly. You could add a sentence in between them; something like "These character types are more than one-dimensional, though."

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP CoLLiSioN47 1 / 2  
Cannery Row Project...

My Topic: We have been looking at theme and tone in the book. The tone of Cannery Row is melancholic, humorous, (look at your sheet for the list of terms we discussed). The themes can be drawn from the handout of terms we've discussed or from your own thoughts and conjuring of what themes are portrayed in the novel. Complacency should be mentioned despite any other thematic choices. Complacency has its place.

:What I have:

Perhaps Steinbeck's most important theme is that what you see is not always what you get. Although most of them are poor and socially outcasted, they always look out for each other and help out in Cannery Row. Steinbeck's characters are more concerned about each other than about material matters, and they help one another whatever the consequences. Their caring is what creates the pathos and warmth in the story. The theme and tone in the novel is not one, but many.

One of the most visible themes in this story is the caring that Cannery Row has. Dora, the whorehouse owner takes part in philanthropy and donates money. Her girls, which are prostitutes, go to the sick and needy and comfort them. Mack and the boys, the bums, think of ideas to make people happy, such as planning a birthday for Doc and getting frogs for him. Lee Chong, the store owner, helps people in any kind of trouble by sending groceries to them or lets them pay him back later for what they took. Finally, Doc, the young marine biologist, takes care of the sick, lends people money and is respected by all of Monterey for helping everyone out. Each and every individual in Cannery Row has a good and bad side, poor or rich they always care for each other.

What should I add or improve?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Your instructor made it clear that "complacency" is one of the themes which should be discussed. I'm not sure that "caring," per se, is a theme. You might want to consult the list of terms that you were given to see if you can find something that fits what you were trying to say.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Book Reports / Cannery Row Project... Steinbeck