Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Comparative Rhetorical Analysis my Topic " Good Hair- Bad Hair"

jenniferdavis 1 / -  
I'm very confused can someone give me a second opinion

Analyze three or four persuasive articles that address a relatively recent cultural debate or question. What are their dominate rhetorical strategies? What values underlie each argument? Express a clear thesis statement. Support your claim with specific textual references.

The King James Bible states in Corinthians 11:15 "But if women have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given to her for a covering". I had to go back to before perms, hot combs and the weave to get a better understanding of how hair; something that the Bible says should be a women glory became separated into "Good Hair and Bad Hair". For African American women hair has been the battle ground over definitions of beauty. Every woman has a different view when it comes to hair. Being a celebrity does not exclude you from being criticized about black hair. Because of the stigma associated with the grooming of black hair even a African American with "Good Hair" can have "Bad Hair" problems. African American women find it acceptable to agree and disagree on choices pertaining to hair. Many people try new things looking for hair growth potions and styles that are easy to maintain and cause the least amount of damage to your hair, and more important a hair style that accepted by society. Growing up with three sisters a conversation on hair is something that came up daily. We had debates within our family on which one of us had "Good Hair" and who had "Bad Hair". The battles seem to never end because of the daily attempt to turn "Bad Hair" into "Good Hair" at least for 6 week (the time it would take for you perm to go out).

It took India Arie to bring African American hair into the public by singing one of her Bill Board Hit "I am not my hair." She sang about her personal hair struggles and how they were so bad she decided to go nature (no perm, no weave no dye) wearing only the hair that grow out of her scape; kinks and all. Eliminating naps (slang term for tight course curls) from textured ethnic hair is a billion dollar business and most women would rather touch up their perm over buying a new outfit. The day that natural hair becomes as accepted as curvier bodies, is the day that "cream crack" (Para 1) will be as mysterious as the floppy disk.

Catherine Saint Louis wrote a article for The New York Times titled "Black Hair, Still Tangled in Politics" she used the term "cream crack" to give us a better understand on how much African American women depended on perms. Saint Louis goes on to tells how a women who wears her natural black hair is considered a rebel and is not accepted by the white establishment. Saint Louis shares that still today "If your hair is relaxed, white people are relaxed" (Para 3). In 1619 the first blacks were brought to Jamestown as slaves, at that point whatever cultural grooming tradition they had disappeared. The promotion that black people with dark skin, and kinky hair were seen to be less attractive and worth less. Once it started it never ended, black beauty became what every white American decided it should be. Saint Louis brings our attention to a blog by "Free Republic" that criticized the First Daughter hair in a recent vacation to Rome. Maila Obama wore her hair in its natural state with twist and it was said that she was "being unfit to represent America for stepping out unstraightend"(Para 7). Saint Louis herself has gone through the many hair changes and decided that natural works better for her. "Virgin hair" a term she used is when speaking of hair with no chemicals, is something many black women are proud of having, they speak strongly on their decision not to have given into the pressures of straitening their hair.

On the other hand a article by Jenee Demond-Harris Published by the Time Magizine titled "Why Michelle Obama's Hair Matters" caught my attention. The fascination with our First Ladies hair has a lot of people scratching their heads, but not African American women. Desmond-Harris told how supportive and understanding ethic women are to Michelle hair choices; she also states that "The choice many black women make to alter their hair's natural texture has undeniable historical and psychological underpinnings" (Para 4). The choices for black hair were not made by blacks, but by people who didn't understand the maintained of a different structure of hair. Saint Louis noted black hair has history. Desmond-Harris shared quotes from the Inquirer that showed why Michelle's hair matters "Girls ain't any braids, twists, afros, etc. getting into the White House just yet...LOL" (Para 3). Desmond-Harris didn't find that funny and neither do I. This statement was indeed an insult and should not be accepted this day and age. Desmond-Harris noticed that natural hair is still seen as "subversive or threatening" (Para 10) this is not new to her or any other ethic person that may go natural. We all remember the New Yorker portrait of Michelle Obama with an Afro as a militant black radical. Even in 2008 hair was still used as an insult. With the harsh look the cartoonist gave First Lady Obama, the biggest insult was to change the texture of her hair from straight to kinky and used that to have people see her in a negative way. Harris showed us that from 1619 to 2009 black hair is as complicated has it has ever been. Living at 1600 Pennsylvania does not exclude you from being called out about your hair choices. Desmond-Harris adds in her article "I'm neither high maintenance nor superficial: I'm a black woman. My focus on hair feels like a birthright" (Para 15). We are all born into a society that view us based on our hair and being married to the President doesn't remove you from the club.

Last but not least was the article by Akia Colar published by the Huffington Post titled "Good Hair Wars". Colar spoke mostly on natural hair, she felt it was freeing and helps with self acceptance and self-esteem. She applauded Tyra Banks a former super model turned talk show hostess on going natural on nationwide television. She spoke of how young girls look up to people like Tyra Banks and Beyonc'e and their hair gave them a false since of beauty. Colar says "That's it's important for girls and young women to see role models who look like them-not just skin tone or body shape, but mane-wise as well" (Para 3) . The funny thing about this article is that Colar was found to have had "Good Hair" a African American that had an out and didn't know it. She had what the war was all about and still fought the same fight as people who didn't have it. Colar open our eyes to the fight and how important it is to teach our youth about beauty. When we think of good words like superior, pleasant, well-behaved and worthy of respect come to mind. Having hair that society sees as bad gives some ethnic people a feeling of being full of faults, sinful, disobedient unfavorable and not achieving adequate standard all because of their hair. Colar makes a good point when she quotes "little girls think that maybe there's something wrong with the way they look and maybe they should look like the stars that have unnatural hair"(Para 2). We need to teach our youth the beauty is more than skin deep and silky straight.

The articles I choose all had their way of bringing attention to dilemma African American women go through on something as simple as hair. Nappy-headed means you don't look good. They used that word on slaves and they still us it today. Black hair once stood for something, afro symbolized pride and defiance not hate or rebellion. Being judge by your hair and not your mental capacity shows that we all have a lot of growing up to do; that's for the people who judge and the people who are judged. The three articles were not meant to discourage people from wearing their natural hair, weaves or perms or even extensions it was to bring more attention to the struggle. The fear of not passing on someone's ideal of beautiful should not be a reason for people to continually alter who they are.
The fascination with our First Lady 's hair has a lot of people scratching their heads, but not African American women. Desmond-Harris told how supportive and understanding ethnic women are about Michelle's hair choices; she also states, that "The choice many black women make to alter their hair's natural texture has undeniable historical and psychological underpinnings" (Para 4).

Your thesis statement will be clear when it is a little bit "arguable." Something that is arguable is not obvious. You should end your 1st para with a thesis statement -- an opinion you are expressing in the essay.

Each para should somehow support your thesis argument.

You need to discuss the rhetorical techniques of the authors, so you are probably learning about logos, ethos, and pathos in your class. Use these terms in your discussion of each article.

Look at this essay and ask yourself what your main point is that you are trying to get across. Then, use that truth as a compass to guide your revision of each paragraph. Let each para support your thesis, and let's see some discussion fo the authors' rhetorical strategies.

:-)

Home / Book Reports / Comparative Rhetorical Analysis my Topic " Good Hair- Bad Hair"