Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

The concept of Truth and Happiness: About 1984 & Brave New World

swk 1 / -  
Both Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty Four propose visions of a future dominated by conformity to mass culture, the first one via consumption cultures tailored to the five social castes, the second via a totalitarian system. In the first truth is opposed to happiness while in the 2nd both truth and happiness seem meaningless concepts. Discuss the relationships between truth, happiness, freedom and social conformity as related in the two novels.

I have no idea of this topic...can u guys give me some ideas? Thank you so much
donrocks 5 / 120  
You will have the idea only when you read this book. I personally have not read them but what you need to do is...
1) Read the books first.
2) Pick out some examples from the book on truth and all that.
3) Now comes the cool part, you need to link those examples with yourself, your family, your neighborhood, and today's generation.
Hope this helps... :)
mea505 - / 265  
Win,

If you have not yet read either 1984 or A Brave New World, then I think that you are missing a wonderful treat! I have read both of them and you are somewhat "on the money" with your simple synopsis of the two works that you left on the forum in your first message.

There is no real way to tell you how to proceed with this essay until you read the two books, however. They are both very, very good! I think that you will enjoy them both. You can most likely read both of them in one setting, perhaps on a rainy day sometime soon. There is a lot of symbolism in the books, so you have to be careful when you read them.

Have you read anything by Orwell in the past?

Please -- read them if you have not already -- then post your initial essay.

Mark
Truth is opposed to happiness.
Both truth and happiness seem meaningless concepts.

Focus on these concepts. Have you read the books? If you have read the books, or even if you have read some analysis of them online, you should be able to describe how these concepts are shown in the books.

You have to really know the books well. The whole point of this is to get you to know the books well. You can start by googling the title and the word "analysis" to see what people have written about the themes in these books.

It's not hard to read some analysis. You might feel overwhelmed if you think you have to read the whole book and look for these concepts. Just read the books to enjoy them, and look at some analysis! You will get some good ideas.

Home / Book Reports / The concept of Truth and Happiness: About 1984 & Brave New World