Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 11

controversy about Adventures of Huck Finn

yvette 3 / 10  
reasons the book should not be read in schools and counter arguements to it
I have not the time to post my arguements yet; reason being that I'm in the process of doing my homework
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
The ideals ...o wait. I have homework...
of opening up the issues of racism, hostility, profanity...both literary and historical merit in such a work..

please show more effort in your question. I hope you contribute to the forum more too :]
OP yvette 3 / 10  
Huck is a bad influence on the young minds of Many children who envy him and so therefore copy him. "Huck was hated by the mothers of the town because he was idle...lawless...vulgar and bad, and because all the children admired him...and wished and dared to be like him" -chicago daily tibune. His peers, young children, mimic the behavior of a Huck ,parentless ruffian Children reading the book also fell prey to Huck's indecent behavior. "pretty soon I wanted to smoke" (pg 4 of Huck Finn). Many a children, boys especially, have tried smoking because of this one line.
Many children, boys especially, have tried smoking because of this one line.

Or

Many a child, boys especially, have tried smoking because of this one line.

I don't really understand the phrase "many a (something)," but it is pretty common. Anyway, it should be one of those ways above.

Do you really believe that this book should not be read by children, and if so, at what age do you think it would be okay? Is this really your opinion, or is it a challenge by the teacher to promote a particular point of view?
OP yvette 3 / 10  
it should be read when 16 or older (which i am) however the book is still to hard to read.

Both Huck and Jim's manner of speaking are bound to confuse the young readers about correct grammar. And for the older reader, Huck Finn is painful to read. "Huck; you's de bes' fren' Jim's ever had..." As one tries to read the book we subconsciously substitute words that could in effect cause one to misunderstand the events of the story. And continual sight of bad grammar gets ingrained into the mind and eventually ends up in one's written language.

I'm using this for inspiration or help for the persuasive esssay I have to write
so please comment as often as you can
Its my first time...
And continual sight of bad grammar gets ingrained into the mind and eventually ends up in one's written language.

That is a very good point! I think you should incorporate this material into the essay.
OP yvette 3 / 10  
These are three body paragraphs

Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is not an appropriate book for middle school because of the bad morals that it promotes. Unlike what some declare, Huck is not a teacher of morals. Huck is a bad influence on their young minds. Many children, when exposed to Huck's rabid behavior, envy him and therefore, copy him. They see his life and consider it to be the glamorous life. Much like teens these days, and the atrocious celebrities seen on the screen. However, Huck is a more disastrous threat because he is their peer and was introduced to them by the school, the very place that is meant to keep them from doing wrong. So, it must be alright to be like Huck right? It must be alright to be "hated by the mothers of the town because [you are] idle, lawless, vulgar and bad" (Chicago Daily Tribune, 7). It must be okay to "admire him...and [dare] to be like him" (Chicago Daily Tribune, 7). Not only will they be influenced by Huck's indecent behavior, but also to the King and the Duke's. Huck's "want to smoke" (Twain, 4) has led many a child to try smoking, which as we can lead to addiction. This addiction would have a stronger hold on them than the average adult seeing as the nicotine has less body mass to conquer. "The royal nonesuch" (Twain, 145) is an outright example of bad behavior rewarded by money too many a time. The Duke and the King scam people and run with the money which they spend getting into a drunken stupor. Kids are not going to go out and scam their neighbors right now, but it may seem appealing to them as a future lifestyle. They can start of small by being bullies, cheaters, and petty thieves. And as if rewarded crime isn't enough nudity is portrayed.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is not an appropriate book for middle school students because ...
Much like teens these days, and the atrocious celebrities seen on the screen.

I think you should start a new paragraph after tis sentence. keep the intro short and clear, so the reader knows what is happening.

However, before ending the intro para, you should give a thesis statement that lists your important points: This paper is intended to show that the novel is inappropriate for young children, because it glorifies irreverence and recklessness, teaches poor grammar, and exposes the reader to violent imagery.
OP yvette 3 / 10  
that the novel is inappropriate for young children, because it glorifies irreverence and recklessness, teaches poor grammar, and exposes the reader to violent imagery.

this is my thesis
thanks!
these are just the body paragraphs the intro is some where else
OP yvette 3 / 10  
Why in the world is Huck in our Classrooms?!
Remember school? Having assignments that keep piling higher and higher as time passes? Having to read books you never understood? Books that angered you and left you with migraines at such a young age. Well, the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, is such a book. And even worse one, at that Mark Twain's purpose in writing the illicit book may have been to entertain with the adventures of a juvenile lad named Huck as he tries to evade his violent father and "sivilization" (Twain 3); but since the novel is set prior to the Civil War, the plot contains many references to slavery. Consequentially, there has been and still a long-standing dispute about whether or not the narrative should be read in schools. The irksome novel is unacceptable for the middle school curriculum, because it deifies impertinence and unruliness, teaches pitiable grammar, and exposes the reader to violent imagery.

To begin, Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is a negative impact on children because of the bad morals that it promotes. Unlike what accomplices declare, Huck is not a teacher of morals. Huck is a bad influence on their young minds. Many children, when exposed to Huck's rabid behavior, envy him and therefore, copy him. They see his life and consider it to be the glamorous life. Much like teens these days, and the atrocious celebrities seen on the screen. However, Huck is a more disastrous threat because he is their peer and is introduced to them by the school, the very place that is meant to keep them from doing wrong. So, it must be alright to be like Huck, right? It must be alright to be "hated by the mothers of the town because [you are] idle, lawless, vulgar and bad" (Chicago Daily Tribune, 7). It must be okay to "admire him...and [dare] to be like him" (Chicago Daily Tribune, 7). Huck's "want to smoke" (Twain, 4) has led copious children to try smoking, which as we know, can lead to addiction. This addiction would have a stronger hold on them than the average adult seeing as the nicotine has less body mass to conquer. Huck is a terrible role model. Let's not forget that Huck isn't the only character in the book. Not only will children be influenced by Huck's indecent behavior, but also by the King and the Duke's. "The royal nonesuch" (145) is an outright example of atrocious behavior rewarded by money too many a times. The Duke and the King scam people and run with the money which they spend getting into a drunken stupor. Children are not going to go out and scam their neighbors right now, but it may seem appealing to them as a future lifestyle. They start off small by being cheaters, habitual liars, and petty thieves. And just you watch as the children's

In addition, Huckleberry Finn is not an appropriate book for middle school students because the wrong grammar may throw them off course as they are still learning the basics of the English language. Both Huck and Jim's manner of speaking are composed of wrong subject-verb agreement, and others. "[Jim] tuck out en shin down de hill" (43). I read this book and I still don't know what exactly this sentence means. As one tries to read the book we subconsciously substitute words but this in effect causes on to misunderstand the events of the story. And continual sight of bad grammar gets ingrained into the mind and eventually ends up in ones written language. Another instance in which grammar affects understanding of book is when Mrs. Loftus tells the disguised Huck to "take a cheer" (54) after he came in. Is this what Mrs. Loftus actually said? Is the misspelling due to Huck being the narrator, or is just a saying? Not only is the grammar incorrect, but it is permeated by the vulgar language. Jim and other blacks are referred to as "niggers" (5). This word is even more offensive as it was at the time this book was published. At the time the book was published, several other words could have been used to get the meaning across. The word is mentioned approximately "over 215 times" (Seattle pi) in a 279 page narrative. Are there really no other words to describe a black person? Some would argue that the wrong grammar is American realism. And if so, the book belongs in history class. Nevertheless, there were blacks with better grammar than that portrayed by Jim . And even if all blacks spoke that way, you cannot just say he was writing how people spoke, and overlook what he wrote.Teaching the novel to eighth- grade kids is "pulling the pin of a hand grenade and tossing it into the all too common American classroom."(Young Spartacus) due to over use of the "N" word. "Nigger" denotes the black man as commodity, as chattel equal to livestock. Classic or not, this rancid book should not be allowed in our classrooms to continue to cause children discomfiture and chagrin about their heritage.

Most importantly, the book should not be allowed in middle school is the great amount of Violence and gore. Explanation of a fight is given As "[killing] a man,...then that man's brother kills him...and by and by everybody is killed off." This is the only way to end a feud. Some argue that the book is antiviolence. However, Huck gets into violent situations time and time again. Several fist fights erupt, with solid, painful-looking blows. Huck's father threatens him with a knife, and Huck holds him off with a rifle. Eventually the father is shown dead of a gunshot wound. Huck kills a rat by winging a bottle at it. He also shoots a boar, drags it around and smears its blood on the walls of his father's cabin. During a gun battle between feuding families, a young boy named Buck is shot and his corpse is found floating in the river. Huck's companion, Jim, shows the deep welts of a whipping he's been subjected to. During a mob scene, a shooting and a stabbing occur. Repetitive risky behavior

Torrance, Patricia, Don Blankenship, and Gilbert Blankenship. "WAS HUCKLEBERRY FINN REALLY TOM
BLANKENSHIP ? ." 2001-2002. Online Posting to rootsweb. Web. 20 Dec 2009.
Huck Finn and `Sociable Jimmy." Boston Globe 1992. n. pag. Web. 20 Dec 2009. ProQuest LLC. HighBeam
Research . Retrieved at HighBeam Research
Fishkin, Shelley. Was Huck black?. Oxford University Press, USA, 1994. Print.
he irksome novel is unacceptable for the middle school curriculum, because it deifies impertinence and unruliness, teaches pitiable grammar, and exposes the reader to violent imagery.

This is much better than the one I suggested, ha ha. And I see what you mean, above. I somehow overlooked the note that said those were body paragraphs.

Well, it looks like you did a great job...it looks like it ends all of a sudden, though, so I guess you probably have more material to add.

:-)

Home / Book Reports / controversy about Adventures of Huck Finn