Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

CREATIVE IMAGINATION; ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

eddiev 3 / 3  
prompt: what role does the creative imagination play in our lives? answer this question in regards to Alice's Adventure in Wonderland and the following topic of rules and breaking them.

my response:

Valdovinos, Edward
English 96
Professor Goodman
October 19, 2010

Our creative imagination plays a big role in our lives. It's led us to discoveries and creations that have revolutionized modern day society but despite this it has been one of our greatest flaws. Our imagination has given us the impression that we cannot live without rules or limitations. This in turn propels us into a mindset which leads us to perilous situations and renders us unable to find solutions to our problems. In ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND by Lewis Carroll, the main character, Alice, constantly gets involved many dilemmas and rather than solving her dilemmas, she continuously gets involved in them. Her imagination sparks ideas which lead her down a path of mischievousness. Lewis Carroll shows Alice as an epitome for society's "black sheep" showing the constant cost of our imaginative actions during the late eighteen hundreds where he himself breaks the rules of fiction and exaggerates the creative imagination of Alice.

The author's creative mind choice of diction gives a vivid image of Alice's imagination and how it gets her into trouble. "How she longed to get out of that dark hall, and wander about among those bed of bright flowers and those cool fountains" (Carroll 16). Carroll articulations of Alice's imagination show how immense it is. "Alice had begun to think that very few things indeed were impossible."(Carroll 17) Alice begins to realize one of society's most common ideologies that our imagination has no limits or boundaries. This seems to catalyze her actions to become. As the novel progresses she comes into contact with one of many issues to come. "the bottle was not marked poison so she ventured to taste it" (Carroll 18). As harmless as it may seem the repercussions of breaking a long instilled rule of society; to not drink something if you don't know what it is. Her thought that somehow that by her drinking the bottle she can be closer to what she depicted of what's to be on the other side of the door. Lewis Carroll illustrates her actions to have a severe consequence greatly exaggerating it by shrinking Alice to about "ten inches high".

Lewis Carroll continues to overstress some of the awful things of our actions due to an over active mind. "if it makes me grow larger...and if it makes me grow smaller...either way I'll get into the garden, and I don't care which happens!"(Carroll 19). Her mind's eye which is set on that very flamboyant garden keep's her going and going causing her to violate general rules that are of common sense and have been instilled to us throughout our childhood and into our adolescent years. She finds a piece of cake in a very random box with the words "eat me" marked on it and ate it. "'Well I'll eat it'" (Carroll 19). With her mind set on what she had earlier imagined she seems to not care of any repercussions and she decides to finish the cake.

The Creative imaginations role in society as well as in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is that of which we can think critically and analyze situations we are in. the role of Alice's creative imagination is what allows her to make decisions and break rules. An imagination without limitation has no end to one's actions. The need for rules and boundaries will lessen ones actions such as those that seem to get Alice in trouble. Alice herself realizes the need for them "half hoping she might find another key on it or at any rate a book of rules" (Carroll 17).

Creative imaginations imprint on society is enormous. It is what propels us forward. In Alice's case Lewis Carroll depicts her imagination as a magnet for breaking rules. Her in ability to control her imagination gets the best of her and puts her in bad situations. As she is an example of many children whom let their imaginations run wild and go against the boundaries set upon them. Lewis Carrols excessive fiction in the novel carefully illustrates Alice in a way where she is made to seem as a child with an over active imagination.
acanell - / 2  
Rather than saying "Creative imaginations imprint on society is enormous. It is what propels us forward."

You can put them together and make them flow a little more by saying something like:

"Creative imaginations on society has an enormous influence. It helps stimulate one's thought, going outside of the box and thinking more creativity.

Home / Book Reports / CREATIVE IMAGINATION; ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND