Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

A Critique of "The Untouchables" by Thomas L. Friedman

Shay87 2 / 3  
LaShay Harris

Dr. Brownson

Writ 101

9/17/2012

How reliable are jobs now a day? Since America is mostly made up of the middle class, the jobs that the class have are limited especially for the lower middle class. With the use of technology and globalization, jobs today are

becoming harder to maintain because of the supply and demand. Meaning the more of a specific job is needed the more workers are required for that job, but the question remains, is there anyone adequate enough to fulfill that

job. With the demand and competition for the middle class jobs there is always need to stand out, and improve the skills required.

A piece from a book called The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century written by Friedman states the disadvantages and advantages with globalization and the need for the middle class. He points out, that

"There will be plenty of good jobs out there in the flat world for people with the right knowledge, skills, ideas, and self-motivation to seize them" (239). Not only do the middle class in America need their jobs, but also those in another

country like Sweden or India will want and need that same job. If the employer does not like the work that is being done by the employee, that employee can easily lose his/her job and be replaced by another that can do a lot more,

and bring creativity to that job.

How would someone classify globalization? Who is affected by globalization? Friedman answers these questions by stating that today the young workers will not only be competing with other Americans, but with other young

workers across the globe. Now not only to workers have to fight for jobs, but they also to fight to keep their jobs and gain new skills for that job. Friedman advises to his girls, "finish your homework-people in China and India are

starving for your jobs" (239). It a very well-played out advice, simply because of the fact that there will always be someone out there who is smarter, greater, best and cheaper worker, who will most likely take away the job. Friedman

makes good statements and sets his words out in a way to capture his readers in hope that they understand by mentioning his girls, and a part in a movie called Death of a Salesman.

Friedman has made very reasonable topic called "The Untouchables"; to Friedman the untouchables are part of the middle class, but they are the people whose jobs will not be "outsourced, digitized, or automated" (239).

There is another factor to look at as well, though most jobs like a telephone-receptionist might lose their jobs because of the simple use of recording and voice mail. The untouchables are placed into three categories; the first being

the special group, the localized and the old middle jobs. The special groups mostly consist of athletes, singers, authors, and brain surgeons. He mentions that this group is considered special because the world is in such demand

for this group. Constantly the group continues to change and become more creative with the work that they do. While the localized group mostly made of barbers, maids, plumbers, and dentist; they are called localized because

they require being face-to-face with their clients and stay where they will be needed. Lastly there is the old middle, which contains jobs like an assembly line worker or accounting. These jobs can easily be automated and digitized. I

completely agree with the statement. Today people looking for jobs cannot find one in their fields because the country is not in demand for that particular job. Often the world is in demand for one job, but has more supply for

another. For example, every country is in demand for doctors, but not enough in supply.

Friedman compared the American economy to a bell curve, with a big bulge in the middle. His opinion is that the middle class is the bulge in the middle. The middle class is what frame most of America, the backbone and pillar.

If the middle class cease to exist the economy of America will plummet downward. The country would become unstable. The economy cannot become a barbell economy, which is uneven and weighs on to sides nothing in the

middle to balance it all out. Though I would disagree simply because I know for a fact the America is mostly made of middle class citizens, but Friedman is not giving me enough facts to back up the source. He just gives a quote by

Gene Sperling, who actually argues and states, "We either grow together or we will grow apart" (241).

What jobs will be available in the new middle? What types of skills are needed, and which are no longer reliable? Friedman has made reasonable and logical point to focus on the middle class of America. He questions others to

ponder whether or not the job they currently have is abundant or if they themselves are adequate enough for that job. He gives an insight on the new middle class and what jobs will be available to keep or stick to. Though he did

not give a decent response as to how the middle class is a backbone to America, but he gives an appealing warning through his work.

Work Cited

Friedman, Thomas. "The Untouchables." Writing and Reading Across The Curriculum. 11th ed. New York: Longman-Pearson, 2012. 238-241. Print.
Lainedeluna 1 / 7  
I enjoyed reading your thoughts and your perspective. I added corrections and tips that I hope you will find helpful. I concentrated on grammar and syntax. Good luck on this critique.

How reliable are jobs now a daynowadays ? Since America is mostly made up of the middle class, the jobs that the class have are limited especially for the lower middle class. I edited what you had, but the way your sentence regarding the middle class was written, I thought I might offer an alternative.

Due to the fact that America is predominantly comprised of the middle class, with only jobs geared toward the lower middle class. I must inquire, how reliable are jobs nowadays?

With the use of technology and globalization, jobs today are becoming harder to maintain because of the supply and demand.

Meaning the more of a specific job is needed the more workers are required for that job, but the question remains, is there anyone adequate enough to fulfill that job.?

I am not sure what you are trying to state in the sentence above.

With thehigh demand and competition for the middle class jobs there is alwaysa need to stand out, and improve the skills required. Try and reword the last part of that sentence.

A piece from a book called The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century written by Friedman statesword choice, try illustrates, shows, etc. the disadvantages and advantages with globalization and the need for the middle class.

He points out, that "There will be plenty of good jobs out there in the flat world for people with the right knowledge, skills, ideas, and self-motivation to seize them" (239).

Not only does the middle class in America need their jobs, but also those in an other countryieslikesuch as Sweden or India will want and need thatthose same jobs .

If the employer does not like the work that is being done by the employee's work , that employeeperson can easily lose his/her job and be replaced by someone more competent and skilled.another that can do a lot more, and bring creativity to that job

How would someone classify globalization? Who is affected by globalization?
Friedman answers these questions by stating that today the young workers will not only be competing withagainst other Americans, but with other young workers from across the globe.

Now not only td o workers have to fight for jobs, but they also tomust fight to keep their jobs and gainwhile learning new skillspertinent to their occupation.for that job.

Friedman advises to his girls, "finish your homework-people in China and India are starving for your jobs" (239).
It a very well-played outconsider a different choice of words, maybe very good advice, simply because of the fact that there will always be someone out there who is smarter, greaterbetter , best and cheaper worker, who will most likely take away the job.cheaper to hire.

Friedman makes good statements and sets [i]his words out in a way to capture his readers
try rewording this, it's too passive trycaptivates his readers? in hope that they understand by mentioning his girls,

and a part in a movie called Death of a Salesman.
Friedman has made very reasonable topic calledthis sentence is incomplete "The Untouchables"; to Friedman the untouchables are part of the middle class,
but they are the people whose jobs will not be "outsourced, digitized, or automated" (239).

AlsoTt here isarean other factorsto look atmy suggestion is to use 'consider' hereas well, though most jobs like a telephone receptionistsmightmay lose their jobs because of the simple use of recording and voice mail.answering machines and voice mails.

The untouchables are placed into three categories; the first being the special group, the localized and the old middle jobs.
The special groups mostly consist of athletes, singers, authors, and brain surgeons.
He mentions that this group is considered special because the world is in such demand for this group.
Constantly tT he group constantly continues to change and become more creativeinnovative? with their work that they do .
While the localized group mostly made of barbers, maids, plumbers, and dentist;
they are called localized because they require being face-to-face with their clients and stay where they will beare needed.

Lastly there is the old middle, which contains jobs like an assembly line worker or accounting.
Insert somewhere that the following sentence is Friedman's idea, otherwise your next sentence doesn't make sense These jobs can easily be automated and digitized. I completely agree with the statement . this idea

Today people searchinglooking for jobs cannot find one in their fields will not find any because therecountry is not in demand for that particular job.

Often the world is in demand for one job, but has more supply for another.
These sentences do not flow seamlessly into each other, consider rewriting the prior.
For example, every country is in demand for doctors, but there are not enough in supplyto meet this need .
Friedman compared the American economy to a bell curve, with a big bulge in the middle.
His opinion is that the middle class is the bulge in the middle.
The middle class is what frame most of America, the backbone and pillar.
If the middle class cease to exist the economy of America will plummet downward.
The country would become unstable.
The economy cannot become a ' barbell' economy, which is uneven and weighs on to sides nothing in the middle to balance it all out.
I would try another analogy, barbells typically are balance there is weight on both sides equally dispersing the weights, unless the user sets it up uneven.

Though I would disagree simply because I know for a fact the America is mostly made of middle class citizens, but Friedman is not giving me enough facts to back up the source.

He just gives a quote by Gene Sperling, who actually argues and states, "We either grow together or we will grow apart" (241).

What jobs will be available in the new middle? What types of skills are needed, and which are no longer reliable?
Friedman has made reasonable and logical point to focus on the middle class of America.
He questions others to ponder whether or not the job they currently have is abundant or if they themselves are adequate enough for that job.

He gives an insight on the new middle class and what jobs will be available to keep or stick to.
Though he did not give a decent response as to how the middle class is a backbone to America, but he gives an appealing warning through his work.

Home / Book Reports / A Critique of "The Untouchables" by Thomas L. Friedman