Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

Cyrano De Bergerac and Roxane Essay

3ryk 1 / 2  
I'm new here and I'm not sure if you guys proof read and can provide me some help, I suck at grammar and I wrote an essay on Cyrano De Bergerac. The topic is this.

1. Compare/contrast TWO of the following characters. Which one is the most manipulative when it comes to love and why? Support your answer with reference/analysis of techniques they use, their motives, their consequences, effetcts upon their characters, etc.

I choose to contrast Cyrano and Roxane.

Here is my essay, any major concerns I need to work on, to get a good grade in this paper?

------------------------------------------------------------

The word love has many different interpretations in print and Cyrano De Bergerac is no exception taking a deviant approach to it. Coined a "heroic comedy in five acts" is more less that with a tragic and complicated twist of fate. Roxane, the main object of both Cyrano's and Christians love is the beginning of what turns out to be a complex love triangle. Although some might see Cyrano as manipulative regarding his love for Roxane, it is Roxane who causes the most damage because she elicits heartbreak in Cyrano, Christian and herself.

Cyrano's character is persuasive towards the people he loves but is much less dramatic than Roxane. Cyrano is looked as the hero for the majority of the play. His actions and thoughts are graceful in his everyday life; he has a witty personality and a very sharp sense of humour to charm anyone he wants. Being a gifted poet and loving at heart makes what to come later on a more complicated love story. Cyrano portrays a generous and helpful friend to Christian, which turns out to be the start of an array of trouble and hurt for all the characters involved. Cyrano, having such a big nose and being out of proportion to his face, becomes the only factor to bring down his self esteem; this causes Cyrano to use Christian as a vessel in a way to project his love for Roxane. The only problem; it's Christian that is reaping all the benefits as the words Christian speaks are none other than Cyrano's. Although Cyrano and Christian are in love with the same woman, Roxane is in love with Christian; making the love Cyrano feels hard to express until he decides to help Christian with his words as he is unable to speak to Roxane without looking and sounding incapable of romance. Every word Christian said to Roxane was Cyrano's, creating Cyrano's manipulative act of love; he convinces Roxane that Christian is the one with the beautiful metaphors and grace in his voice resulting in the wedding of Roxane and Christian. Towards the end of Christian's death, the truth about Cyrano's love is exposed as it all comes very clear to Christian, knowing this information could change everything; the feelings felt and future events. Christian insists that Cyrano tell the truth to Roxane in his last moments of life. Cyrano being the helpful and loving character he is, tells Christian what he wants to hear before his last breath, Cyrano not only manipulated Christians words but also what Christian wanted in life- Roxane. By telling Christian that lie before his death, he made sure Christian died with honor and respect in the eyes of Roxane and himself.

On the other hand, Roxane is the main infatuation in this love triangle and influences the choices of Cyrano and Christian beyond measure. Roxane's character depicts a beautiful woman whose power and elegance blinds Christian and Cyrano. Roxane is sincere when she states she is in love with Christian, thus causing Cyrano to help Christian seem more desirable than just his looks. Roxane is straight forward in what she wants and ultimately gets it, making her demanding with everything she pursues. Her demanding characteristic results in a wedding which she planned, simply by forging a letter and of course Christian agrees. Christian nor Cyrano never find out the truth about the forged wedding. Roxane, completely taken by the power of Cyrano's words which she thinks are her new husbands, arrives at the battle field with news to share to Christian that will change him. Not only does it affect Christian but it changes the dynamics of everything and everyone else. What was meant to be exciting news turned to be the worst news Christian could possibly hear, Roxane says "I love your inner self above all else" and later says "I'd love you more! If all your beauty vanished in the night-"basically saying that she would love him even if he was ugly, this contradicts completely what she says to Cyrano early on when she first reveals who she is in love with, stating "There's something exciting about him, I think. He's young, courageous, handsome- "The key word being handsome. With Roxane first in love with someone who is handsome to what seems to be the last attribute on her mind changes how Christian and Cyrano feel, but this information is only clear to them and by the time Roxane finds out, it will be too late. Roxane not only loses her husband who she thinks is her true lover, but also Cyrano at the end of the play. She finally figures it out after 14 years have passed and again, it's too late. Roxane influences the feelings felt, the words exchanged and her life after losing her love - twice.

The love that both Cyrano and Roxane felt was profound but never explored, only through thoughtful and romantic passages. Ultimately, both Cyrano and Roxane were punished with their approaches to love and happiness. Cyrano gets Roxane before his last moments of life but dies, never telling her the truth about Christian, and most importantly his feelings. Roxane is also punished by finding out the truth moments before it's too late to change anything, resulting in losing Christian and Cyrano. Roxane, being more manipulative than anyone she encounters, pays the price and tragically ends this complex love triangle.

----------------------------------------------------

the bold are the thesis, and topic sentences. thanks
georgexu316 3 / 6  
3ryk
Ultimately, both Cyrano and Roxane were punished with their irresponsible approaches to love and happiness
OP 3ryk 1 / 2  
Thank you, That sounds better and more specific.

Any more thoughts or comments?
The first sentence needs work:
The word love has many different interpretations in print and Cyrano De Bergerac is no exception taking a deviant approach to it.---- no exception to the rule of it having different interpretations... but Cyrano's interpretation is not "many different." You can write:

The word love has many different interpretations in print, and Cyrano De Bergerac represents an example of one of the strangest interpretations of all.

Although some might see Cyrano as manipulative regarding his love for Roxane, it is Roxane who causes the most damage because she elicits heartbreak in Cyrano, Christian and herself.

Yes, but does this make her most manipulative or just the most destructive? I think you need to add the word "manipulative" to your description of why you choose her.

Your paragraphs are very long. It is easier to read them if they are shorter. For each idea, use a new paragraph with its own topic sentence. You write very well, though! Please help some other people here in the forum if you have time.

That last paragraph does not reflect on the thesis statement. It tells what happened. I think you should come up with a few excellent sentences that express the supremacy of Roxanne's manipulation. Stay focused on that question of who is most manipulative.
OP 3ryk 1 / 2  
You write very well, though! Please help some other people here in the forum if you have time.

Thank you! I didn't think I was a good writer at all, hence why I choose to come to this site.

for sure, I will try to help people here the best I can.

It might not be as great as others advice, but I'll try.

Also, Thank you so much for the helpful tips, but I've already handed it in as is - today.

I hope I get a good grade on this paper.

Thanks :D

Home / Book Reports / Cyrano De Bergerac and Roxane Essay