Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

Death of a Salesman - symbolism and American dream

Alice2009 2 / 6  
This essay is due tomorrow. Right now I am trying to read the book...I am not nearly done. This seems like a simple enough task but I have just been able to start this due to other many projects and essays.

PLEASE help me anyone, however you can!! I will and need to take allll that I can get as soon as possible! Thanks!

Here is what I have to do:

Explain how symbolism enhances the theme that pursuit of the American Dream brings unhappiness in Arthur Miller's drama Death of a Salesman.

Potential symbols are:

Setting (kitchen; house/Brooklyn; garden; time; mood, etc.)
Objects (automobile; appliances; nylons; rope/tubing, etc)
Actions or Activites (football; stealing; Willy's job; debt/bills, etc.)
Characers' names and roles
Feelings/Attitudes (isolation; despair; companionship; secrecy; confusion)

I just don't even know what the book is about fully yet, I am still reading it I will continue as soon as I submit this thread, and I really need help on what would be best to choose, and I am not sure if I choose all settings, or all objects, or a mixture of these things? What would be best? Thanks so much!
First you need to finish reading the book. Then you need to define the American Dream. If it is defined as the pursuit of happiness, for instance, then your assignment won't make any sense at all. If it is defined as the pursuit of wealth, or of popularity, or of being number one at all costs, then you may have something you can work with. Once you know exactly what version of the American Dream you are going to be talking about, and have read the play fully, then you should have a much better idea of what symbols you want to focus on in your essay.

Also, don't forget to offer the sort of feedback you would like to receive on other people's threads. You wouldn't want a lot of posts here that did nothing but express agreement with the first comment made, would you?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Right. Finish reading the play. Then read back over that list of possible symbols to discuss, adding any others you can think of. You don't have to write about all of them. Indeed, the essay will be strongest if you focus on just a few symbols that struck you particularly strongly, perhaps mentioning a few more just to bolster your arguments.
OP Alice2009 2 / 6  
You're right I am sorry for not posting better comments and helpful ideas to other posts, I will be doing that I just relaly really didnt have time to do much else I just really needed to get this done. Thank you all for your help I must finish it quickly now thank you l.
MoeMoe1 13 / 75  
when is this due alice?

Home / Book Reports / Death of a Salesman - symbolism and American dream