Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

Discuss "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz.

katherine_lu 1 / 1  
Prompt: Junior often relates the ways in which his characters both embody and fail to live up to Dominican gender ideals. Write an essay in which you argue how the narrative employs these models of masculinity and femininity.

"The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz portrays a typical Dominican family's life and their journey to become how a standard Dominican should be. Basically, the Dominican ideal gender is that male and female as supposed to be sexually open, fall in love greatly, and die bravely. The novel starts on Oscar, Lola, Hypatia Belicia Cabral, and tied back to Oscar. Everyone in the family has a history of being a real Dominican except Oscar. He was considered 'normal' at the age of seven until the separation of his two girlfriends ultimately leads to his physical altercation. Lola is a punk chick and a runaway girl, who despites her abusive mother and was bored in life. Belicia is another example of being a wild girl who falls in love entirely and causes troubles for her own.
First of all, you want your opening statement to be one that grabs the reader's attention, so try to develop a stronger one..
Also, your second sentence needs clarification, for example you say "ideal gender" when you are discussing "gender ideals which are entirely different concepts..

You should try to put more feeling into it, maybe try and relate, identify or sympathize in some way so it doesn't look as though you are just doing the assignment. It should always appear as though you are passionate about your topic in essay writing...even if you are not :)

...Lola is a punk chick and a runaway girl, who despises her abusive mother and was bored in life. Belicia is another example of being a wild girl who falls in love entirely and causes troubles for her own.

There also must be an ending. Try and find a nice way to close this with a summarizing statement or two.
Good luck!
JHUDreamer 1 / 3  
I agree completley with Susan. An opening sentence that is interesting is essential
OP katherine_lu 1 / 1  
Thank you very much for the advice!

Home / Book Reports / Discuss "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz.