Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Essay on good and Evil (based on Nathaniel Hawthore's Young Goodman Brown)

Mks57 1 / 4  
My assignment was to write an essay on a theme based on assigned literature. I chose good and evil based on Nathaniel Hawthore's
Young Goodman Brown. Please help.
In Hawthorne's story Goodman Brown demonstrates the much used concept of good versus evil. The story is about a Puritan man who meets Satan either in reality or a dream. He makes a choice to not commune with the devil but it may have been a wrong decision as the result was him questioning the faith and goodness of everyone he trusted. So perhaps it was God who tested him. The end result was him seeing evil in everyone for the rest of his unhappy life.

Good versus Evil is a popular theme. Puritans believed in strict adherence to Christian values but were supertisious and persecuted many people they believed to be evil, such as possessed persons and witches. They were not tolerant and laid the foundation for the Baptist church of modern times. The Puriitans believed in self-reflectio, and strict accounting for thoughts and deeds.

All throughout the bible the theme of good and evil is shown., beginning in Genisus with Adam and Eve. In Matthew when the devil and Jesus have the conversation where Satan takes him to the mountain top and says" see all the kingdoms of the world and their glory I will give you all these if you fall down and worship me." Jesus replies " Go Satan, for it is written, you shall love the Lord your God and worship only him." Satan left and God sent angels to minister to him.

Many religions base their doctrine on right and wrong. I have encountered many different religions in my own family. A person does not have ti identify with a religion to be spritiual to believe in good and evil, or right and wrong. It is wrong to form an opinion of a person based on their religion.

My original ancestry was Cherokee and they believed in the recognition of a higher power who created 3 levels of being the below, the earth or presence and the above. They worshiped what the higher one created for them.the sun, moon,stars and fire. If you did good you had an end but if you were evil you had eternal torture.

In Islam the Quram is the book Muslims belief was the word of God handed down from the angel Gabriel to Muhammad it is their book of divine guidance . In Judaism the Torah is a book of parables to teach life lessons. In Rastafarian culture the believe in Jail' is God incarnate and the true motherland in Babylon and Zion which they belief is in Africa where mankind began. The belief is in the holy trinity and that Jah is in everyone, the use of cannibus is used for self enlightening. The core belief is you must find good and inspirtion with yourself in order to be good. Buddhism is a belief "the awakened one". There are the 3 jewels in the religion, enlightening, teaching and community. Mindfulness, ethical perceptions, support of community, cultivation, higher learning and devotional practice are required. From this comes karma and reincarnation.

Christian Science is belief in Christian bible along with the teaching of the mother church and Mary Baker Eddy. The belief God created you in his perfect image and you are perfect and health is resolved through prayer and meditation. They do not deny medical care but believe God controls it.

In conclusion I think most religions believe in good and evil, but it is expected to be determined by each person in their own thoughts and deeds and must be reflected on and searched for in daily life. The question is is the reward here or in heaven. I believe it is mainly found here in your own good deeds. Each person must decide for thier self what is right and wrong. They will live with the consequences of their actions or inactions. Intent in the end determines good from evil.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Your essay sounds great to me. A couple things that I can see need editing:

Puritans believed in strict adherence to Christian values, but were superstitious and persecuted many people that they believeddeemed to be evil, such as possessed persons and witches. They were notintolerant and they laid the foundation for the Baptist church of modern times. The Puriitans believed in self-reflection, and they strictly accounted for thoughts and deeds.

I would change this:
Intent in the end determines good from evil.
You could say: In the end, a person's intention truly determines good from evil.
OP Mks57 1 / 4  
Thanks those are great ideas and I will use all of them.

Home / Book Reports / Essay on good and Evil (based on Nathaniel Hawthore's Young Goodman Brown)