Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Grade 11 Comparative Essay Othello and "The story of an Hour"

SabrinaBanh 1 / -  
I need all the help i can get so please even if you don't know anything on these topics just read it and give any/all the criticism you have. Essay below and Thank You!

Essay:

The character Othello in William Shakespeare's play "Othello" is like the wife Louise Mallard in the short story "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin because both characters had allowed their minds to take in overwhelming information without looking at all the possibilities thus resulting in their own deaths. In the play "Othello" Othello lets his jealousy control all his actions once Iago convinces him that his wife Desdemona and lieutenant Cassio are having an affair Othello kills Desdemona and committees suicide once he realizes what is had done and that she was innocent. In "The Story of an Hour" the main character Louise Mallard receives news that her husband died in a train accident and locks herself in her bedroom. While in her bedroom she gets this feeling and repeats the words "free, free, free" and that's when she realizes that with her husband dead its was the best thing that ever happened and she has never been more happy. Louise had gotten her self so worked up and overjoyed that when it reviles that her husband never died and had to clue there was an ancient she goes into shock and dies of a heart problem.

The play "Othello" by William Shakespeare follows the tragic hero of Othello and how he caused his own death. In Act 3 Scene 3 Iago the main antagonist in the play warns Othello and says "O, beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock the meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger; But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!". Iago is telling Othello to watch out for jealousy because it can drive a person crazy whether it is true or not. Iago warns Othello yet he is the one that ignites the monster inside of Othello. There have been times in the play where a character Othello should trust tells him nothing is going on with Desdemona and Cassio like in Act 4 Scene 2 the conversation with Othello and Emilia in lines 1 to 18. In this conversation we can see that Emilia is a trustworthy source because she had been with Desdemona since they had arrived on Cyprus and every time Cassio had spoken with her. Emilia also says that she's a good and honest person and tells him to not believe whoever is spreading the lies but Othello does not believe her and that is his fault. Also in Act 4 Scene 2 lines 32 to 90 Othello speaks with Desdemona and calls her unfaithful and a whore but never actually directly asks her about Cassio and what Iago told him. Othello here has been so overwhelmed that he refuses to believe anyone but Iago because in Act 3 Scene 3 Iago says "I am your own for ever" meaning the Iago is Othello's forever and with that he believes every word Iago says. The monster inside Othello can't be stopped and in the end he kills Desdemona thinking it is the right thing to do and will be better for everyone. Once he knew that Iago had been lying to him about everything the truth was too overwhelming and too great that he committed suicide. Event though it was Iago who started with the conversation of Cassio and Desdemona it was Othello that let it go to far and never confronted the both of them about this rumor.

In "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin the first sentence shows us that Mrs. Mallard is responsible for her own death because she knows she has a heart problem but still allows herself to get into this state of mind that in the end results in her own death. Once her sister Josephine tells Mrs. Mallard this news she instead of morning with her friend and family locks herself in her room alone and sits on a chair facing the window. "When she abandoned herself a little whispered word escaped her slightly parted lips. She said it over and over under her breath: "free, free, free!" The vacant stare and the look of terror that had followed it went from her eyes. They stayed keen and bright. Her pulses beat fast and the coursing blood warmed and relaxed every inch of her body". In this paragraph Mrs. Mallard repeats the words "free, free, free" because she comes to the realization that the thing that possesses her is her freedom and she finally relaxes while she pulse beats faster. In the following paragraph she understands that once she sees her dead husband she will cry and feel sad but she's looking into the future where she can be herself and whatever her does will be for her and only her. "She knew that she would weep again when she saw the kind, tender hands folded in death; the face that had never looked save with love upon her, fixed and gray and dead. But she saw beyond that bitter moment a long procession of years to come that would belong to her absolutely. And she opened and spread her arms out to them in welcome. There would be no one to live for during those coming years; she would live for herself." She has now gotten to the point where she can't help but be over joyed that Mr. Mallard is gone and she is alone. When Chopin explains that in Mrs. Mallard "There was a feverish triumph in her eyes, and she carried herself unwittingly like a goddess of Victory." readers can see that she has gotten herself so deep into the understanding that he is dead that she is overwhelmed and shock seeing her husband alive down the stairs with no knowledge of the accident. Abandoning herself and letting this thing that is freedom possess her got her to the point where just seeing Brently Mallard alive and all her freedom disappear was enough to kill her.

Othello and Louise Mallard are two characters that have let their minds overthink and let an issue take over their bodies to have the truth too overwhelming for them to handle and in the end killing themselves. Othello allowed jealousy to get the best of him and killed his faithful and loyal wife Desdemona that he loved. Louise Mallard allowed her self to realize that her husband's death was the best thing that had ever happened and with her this over joyed she was shocked to see her not dead husband come home and it was this that kills her. We can see that both of these characters are very much alike that they both allow themselves to go to far resulting in the end of their lives.
na_rin 1 / 5  
Iago warns ---> I think it would be better if you make it the first alphabet in capital because it places at the first sentence--> Lago

Home / Book Reports / Grade 11 Comparative Essay Othello and "The story of an Hour"