Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Hamlet Essay - Evaluate the parenting of King Hamlet and Polonius

gorush 4 / 13  
I have no idea about this essay!! T_T So, please help me out to catch grammar mistakes, and revise better sentence structures. Thank you :)

Topic: Evaluate the parenting of King Hamlet and Polonius as it relates to Prince Hamlet and Ophelia.

Despite, Polonius was used Ophelia to accomplish his mission, but I think that he is a good father, who gives good advice for both children, Laertes and Ophelia. Although, he used Ophelia for Claudius, he acts as a good father to Ophelia, because he does not want to hurt her by relationship with Hamlet. In the play, Ophelia is a strongly believe her father; she is going to tell everything about Hamlet. And Polonius warn to Ophelia, and he strongly believes that Hamlet does not have any affection to her. So, he explains to Ophelia "Affection, Puh! You speak like a green girl/Unsifted in such perilous circumstance./ Do you believe his "tenders," as you call them?" (1.3.110-112) this quote is supporting that he is worry about her as her father, so Polonius is good father for Ophelia.

In the play, Polonius is a good advisor to Claudius and he is a nice father to Ophelia. Although, he uses Ophelia as a point of spy for Hamlet, he still concerns about how affected to Ophelia. So, he is uncomfortable her relationship with Hamlet, when he says something nicely and giving presents to her. So, he is going to teach her about this relationship:

Marry, I will teach you. Think yourself a baby
That you have ta'en these tenders for true pay,
Which are not sterling. Tender yourself more dearly,
Or (not to crack the wind of the poor phrase,
Running it thus) you'll tender me a fool. (1.3.114-118).
From this quote, it is easy to recognize that he gives advice for her to make best decision. It looks like one of part of mission for Claudius, but he just worried about whether she is hurt or not. Technically, he is not a good person to Hamlet and using her daughter, but he wants to make best decision at each moment for her. This quote is helpful to recognize that Polonius is a normal father as others. Therefore, it looks like that he is a good parenting for his daughter for her future.

As we moving on further, He is telling to Ophelia what situation will be facing to her, and he does not believe that Hamlet does not love her purely. Hamlet is a prince of Denmark, and at that time, he has to marry a member of royal family, not general people as Ophelia. Actually, the "Hamlet" play shows one of power game in the Kingdom of Denmark. Claudius starts to kill King Hamlet to get a power, and Polonius also followed him to have benefit for the power and he wants to build a royal family when he is supporting Claudius as an advisor. So, he worried about relationship because her position is lower than Hamlet, it is hard to get marry with him. He explains about this to her:

Set your entreatments at a higher rate
Than a command to parle. For Lord Hamlet,
Be something scanter of your maiden
Believe so much in him that he is young,
And with a larger <tether> may he walk
Than may be given you. (1.3. 129-135)
If he was a royalty, he might be supporting this relationship. Both Claudius and Polonius are trying to kill Hamlet to remain their power. Also he knows what the consequence is in the future, he does not want to relate with Ophelia, because he loves her. In conclusion, he seems to be a one of good father to Ophelia, because she firmly believed that he is good father, and he always wants to protect her, like other fathers.

The King Hamlet is a good father to Hamlet. Absolutely, he is a good person in the play, but not a good person as a parent of Hamlet. Basically, he uses Hamlet revenge to Claudius. As we know, King Hamlet was died from Claudius when Hamlet was young. So, he does not have chance teaching and parenting for him as well. He only appears in specific scene, so technically it is hard to give some advices for Hamlet. In the play, he ordered to Hamlet to kill Claudius:

But this eternal blazon must not be
To ears of flesh and blood. List, list, O list!
If though didst ever thy dear father love-
O God!
Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder.
Murder?
Murder most foul, as in the best it is,
But this most foul, strange, and unnatural. (1.5. 27-34)
Technically, he was scarified in this "power game" from Claudius, so he wants to revenge to Claudius whatever the method is. The ghost came out in the Act 1 Scene 1, 4, 5, Act 3, and Act 4. The ghost is not a weighted character in this play. When we see scenes talking between King Hamlet and Hamlet, most part is re-telling the story why he died, and he ordered what Hamlet should do to revenge to Claudius. That's why I think that King Hamlet is not fit to good parents.

As we seen above, King Hamlet is not a good father to Hamlet; even he is a good person in this play. Although, he is talking with Hamlet in few scenes, but we could not see any moment giving some advices to Hamlet. Some of people little bit confused about parenting and good personality. We should be careful in this trap, because good personality and parenting to Hamlet are having a huge difference between each other. Although, Hamlet follows what his father said, but he is just going to revenge for killing his father. Unfortunately, we could not determine whether he is good father or not, because the scene is limited to analysis his character as a father of Hamlet. King Hamlet might be feeling sorry for Hamlet, but he does not give many advises to him.

In this story, King Hamlet expects that Hamlet kills Claudius, and protect Gertrude because she is a mother of him. And most of his quote in this book is a telling a story about how he died, why Hamlet should kill him, and etc. Nowhere has he looked like a father of Hamlet as well. In conclusion, the truth is that Hamlet was inspired from his father so much. However, we firmly believe that the ghost is a King Hamlet, but in this play it could not sure whether right or not. So, it might be hard to describe King Hamlet as a general father, and he could not parent him as well. Unfortunately, King Hamlet has a good character, but he is contracted with Polonius, and he did not good parenting compare than Polonius.
erinhcho 6 / 20  
wow long essay.. did you go over your essay yet?
you have a lot of grammar errors (articles, plural/single, structures of sentences, fragments, etc)
i can't fix every single sentence b/c its too long
and i don't know why you use -ing for this essay
you keep saying that "King Hamlet is a not good father and Polonius is a good father"

i am pretty sure you can fix some errors if you go over it again carefully
there are a lot of repeating sentences
Don't use despite without attaching it to something.. like this:
Despite the fact that Polonius used Ophelia to accomplish his mission, but I think that he is a good ...

You should add definition to your thesis statement by telling precisely what ways he is a good father. At the end of that first paragraph, it would be great to give a clear thesis sentence that tells how he is a better father than King Hamlet. Just say something meaningful, at the beginning and end of the essay, that explains the specific qualities that Polonius has that Hamlet does not have. Let this be your main idea for the essay.

Home / Book Reports / Hamlet Essay - Evaluate the parenting of King Hamlet and Polonius