Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Hamlet essay: what was Shakespeare trying to communicate?

confused kid 1 / -  
im having some difficulty with the essay i was given, the question is:
what was Shakespeare trying to communicate to his audience in the play hamlet?
I understand how to write essays but im a little confused on what im impaling Shakespeare to be saying through the play hamlet. im using the theme hamlets uncertainty with the technique soliloguy for my first paragraph. for the second, revenge using technique foreshadowing for the final paragraph im using appearance vs reality and the technique symbolism. there are my chosen theme. i dont know how to start my essay because i dont know what im trying to explain. please help me.
Shadow93 9 / 40  
I suggest that you focus first on its message.

What this means is that you have to try and figure out what Hamlet meant to you, and by extension, what it would mean to others. For example, I might decide that Hamlet is all about mans doomed struggle against destiny. Once I have a message, then I can go about using references such as his soliloquy, or literary techniques of foreshadowing to prove my point.

Good luck!
Hey, if you have access to google, this should be easy. Google this:
hamlet themes
or
hamlet context
or
shakespeare themes
or
hamlet analysis themes ans motifs

You will find brilliant discussions of how he communicated to the audience. Then, after reading those, see what your own opinion is. Go back and skim through the play again. You will be ready to confidently answer based on YOUR opinion, now that you spent 30 minutes reading online analyses.

Home / Book Reports / Hamlet essay: what was Shakespeare trying to communicate?