Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 7

Hamlet and the Theme of Death!

Hamlet9876 1 / 1  
okay i really need help! Im a secondary school student who is currently trying to come up with a thesis on the topic of hamlet and the theme of death. My three points im going to be talking about is poison, water(ophelia dying) and the sword.

My rough draft of my thesis is: In the play, The Tradegy of Prince Hamlet, by Wiliam Shakespeare, an evitable theme that is demontstrated throughout is death, which is displayed by poison, swords and water.

Please help me!!! This is just my rough copy! Any SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!

Thank You!
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Evitable = avoidable.

Also, just listing the kinds of ways that people die in the play is not quite the same thing as exploring death as a theme. You might list those different kinds of death in your introduction, as a way of establishing that lots of people do die in the play. Or the fact that lots of people are killed in different ways could be one of the arguments you use to support the thesis that death is a theme in the play. What are some other signs that death is a major theme in the play? I can think of a few. For example, Hamlet's soliloquies demonstrate that he, the title character, is obsessed with death. There's also that fact that people in the play seem to think frequently of death -- whether suicide or homicide -- as a way of solving problems.
Ask yourself "what is Shakespeare trying to say about death in Hamlet?" The answer you come up with will be your thesis. What you have at the moment does not answer this question, and so is unsuitable as a thesis.
yonman 6 / 47  
Do you have to do it on that topic? Vengeance is a better one in my opinion.
escritor 3 / 6  
I think REVENGE is the main theme of Hamlet.
bi0v0id - / 1  
Essay on a major theme in Hamlet (Death, Revenge, Family, etc)

I have to write an essay for English dealing with a theme in Shakespeare's Hamlet. I am having a little trouble finding which theme would be the best to pick and what a good outside resource would be. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
midge 1 / 8 2  
I would personally go with family, as it is the most prevalent theme in Hamlet (and most other Shakespeare plays.) If you own How to Read Literature Like a Professor, or have a means of getting it , do so. It literally saved my life and I've been using it for english projects for years.

Home / Book Reports / Hamlet and the Theme of Death!