Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Heart of Darkness Essay (Economics: A Study of Consumption)

gracedrift 7 / 34  
Critique on this essay on the distortion of progress?

Economics: A Study of Consumption

Conrad establishes a clear conflict between the civilized and the uncivilized in Heart of Darkness. The civilized elevate certain principles as societal ideals such as equality of opportunity, justice and intellectualism. The civilized peoples of the earth often try to impress their values onto the perceived 'savages'. They justify their actions with a higher purpose, either in the name of God or in the name of progress for the good of mankind. Civilized man values the ideal of progress because moral progress separates the man from his primordial nature, effectively restraining the best within. In Heart of Darkness, Conrad criticizes the failure of civilized men to live up to the ideal of spreading moral progress through the changes within Kurtz and the distortion of moral progress to economic progress.

"The changes take place inside, you know," (137) Marlow's medical examiner mysteriously foreshadows the changes in temperament and beliefs of Kurtz. Kurtz arrives in the jungles of Africa with dreams of bearing the torch of progress and civilization to the savages of the Congo to uplift them: "He bothered me enough when he was here. "Each station should be like a beacon on the road towards better things, a centre for trade of course, but also for humanising, improving, instructing." Conceive you-that ass!'" (162). Conrad illustrates the ranking involved in the process of achieving 'better things' for humanity through a crescendo of clauses. This reveals that Kurtz's intentions in the establishment of trading posts hold profit as the lesser goal and instruction and education as the true objectives. However, as the wilderness "caresse him...take him, love him...consume his flesh," (179) Kurtz finds himself changing physically and morally. A now skeletal being, Kurtz no longer strives to educate and civilize the natives, but rather uses them as his personal labor force. Kurtz's failure to make the dream of moral progress a reality demonstrates Conrad's criticism of civilization's failure to achieve ideals as Kurtz symbolizes civilization and his corrupted ideals represent society's principles.

Conrad condemns civilization's failure to live up to its ideal of moral progress through the distortion of moral and intellectual progress to economic progress, which is not in the best interests of all parties involved. The naïve citizens of Europe, who have not ventured into Africa, suffer from the delusion that the primary goal of occupying the Congo is to "[wean] those ignorant millions from their horrid ways" (138). Marlow half-heartedly attempts to enlighten his aunt to the true motives of the Company: profit. Marlow's encounter with the accountant demonstrates the self-interest of the modern day 'conquistadors', more wrapped up in vanity than in education or moral progress: "He had been out nearly three years; and, later on, I could not help asking him how he managed to sport such linen. He had just the faintest blush, and said modestly, 'I've been teaching one of the native women about the station. It was difficult. She had a distaste for the work'" (145). Conrad lightly mocks Europeans' fixation on keeping up appearances through diction choices like "faintest blush" and "modestly." The accountant should have been instructing the native women about self-sustaining practices or Christianity, not how to weave fine European linen. When Marlow finally meets Kurtz, he anticipates a man of high morals; a champion of moral progress. However, Kurtz appears to have fallen victim to the distorted ideals like other Company employees. The Manager condemns Kurtz's method of collecting ivory not because of its immorality, but because of its lack of economic foresight: "'Mr. Kurtz has done more harm than good to the Company...We must be cautious yet. The district is closed to us for a time! Deplorable! Upon the whole, the trade will suffer. I don't deny that there is a remarkable quantity of ivory-mostly fossil. We must save it, at all events- but look how precarious the position is- and why? Because the method is unsound'" (195). Conrad demonstrates his disappointment with society's execution of a righteous principle (moral progress) by twisting it into an immoral standard (economic progress).

Conrad's social commentary on the discrepancy between ideals and realities encourages the readers of Heart of Darkness to question their personal beliefs, as well as the collective principles of their societies. At its core, this novel acts as a nudge, pushing you to examine what you believe in and whether or not you act in accordance with your values. The book certainly lacks optimism about the nature of man, as no characters stay true to their society's ideal of moral progress when confronted with the darkness of the human heart. Let it be a lesson to us: we must be watchful of our actions as we engage in the eternal struggle to balance our ideals with the chained beast within.
iwantcollege 4 / 11  
Conrad establishes a clear conflict between the civilized and the uncivilized in Heart of Darkness. The civilized elevate certain principles as societal ideals such as equality of opportunity, justice and intellectualism. The civilized peoples of the earth often try to impress their values onto the perceived 'savages'. They justify their actions with a higher purpose, either in the name of God or in the name of progress for the good of mankind. Civilized man values the idealIdea? of progress because moral progress separates the man from his primordial nature, effectively restraining the best beast within. In Heart of Darkness, Conrad criticizes the failure of civilized men to live up to the ideal of spreading moral progress through the changes within Kurtz and the distortion of moral progress to economic progress.this is just an opinion, but if i were you i would put this last sentence at the beginning of the essay

"The changes take place inside, you know," (137) Marlow's medical examiner mysteriously foreshadows the changes in temperament and beliefs of Kurtz. Kurtz arrives in the jungles of Africa with dreams of bearing the torch of progress and civilization to the savages of the Congo to uplift them: "He bothered me enough when he was here. "Each station should be like a beacon on the road towards better things, a centrecenter for trade of course, but also for humanisingHumanizing , improving, instructing." Conceive you-that ass!'" (162). Conrad illustrates the ranking involved in the process of achieving 'better things' for humanity through a crescendo of clauses. This revealsthrough a crescendo of clauses, Conrad reveals Kurtz's intentions ( or something like this) that Kurtz's intentions in the establishment of trading posts hold profit as the lesser goal and instruction and education as the true objectives. However, as the wilderness "caresse him...take him, love him...consume his flesh," (179) Kurtz finds himself changing physically and morally. A now skeletal being, Kurtz no longer strives to educate and civilize the natives, but rather uses them as his personal labor force. Kurtz's failure to make the dream of moral progress a reality demonstrates Conrad's criticism of civilization's failure to achieve ideals as Kurtz symbolizes civilization and his corrupted ideals represent society's principles.

Conrad condemns civilization's failure to live up to its ideal of moral progress through the distortion of moral and intellectual progress to economic progress, which is not in the best interests of all parties involved. The naïve citizens of Europe, who have not ventured into Africa, suffer from the delusion that the primary goal of occupying the Congo is to "[wean] those ignorant millions from their horrid ways" (138). good example Marlow half-heartedly attempts to enlighten his aunt to the true motives of the Company: profit. Marlow's encounter with the accountant demonstrates the self-interest of the modern day 'conquistadors', more wrapped up in vanity than in education or moral progress: "He had been out nearly three years; and, later on, I could not help asking him how he managed to sport such linen. He had just the faintest blush, and said modestly, 'I've been teaching one of the native women about the station. It was difficult. She had a distaste for the work'" (145). Conrad lightly mocks Europeans' fixation on keeping up appearances through diction choices like "faintest blush" and "modestly." i also think it shows the inhumane qualities of Europeans and how they are actually the savages, not the natives. The accountant should have been instructing the native women about self-sustaining practices or Christianity, not how to weave fine European linen. ehhh i dont know about that, in my opinion that would be no different. wether it is European cloth or religion, it is still the same type of oppression and infringement When Marlow finally meets Kurtz, he anticipates a man of high morals; a champion of moral progress. However, Kurtz appears to have fallen victim to the distorted ideals like other Company employees. The Manager condemns Kurtz's method of collecting ivory not because of its immorality, but because of its lack of economic foresight: "'Mr. Kurtz has done more harm than good to the Company...We must be cautious yet. The district is closed to us for a time! Deplorable! Upon the whole, the trade will suffer. I don't deny that there is a remarkable quantity of ivory-mostly fossil. We must save it, at all events- but look how precarious the position is- and why? Because the method is unsound'" (195). Conrad demonstrates his disappointment with society's execution of a righteous principle (moral progress) by twisting it into an immoral standard (economic progress).

Conrad's social commentary on the discrepancy between ideals and realities encourages the readers of Heart of Darkness to question their personal beliefs, as well as the collective principles of their societies.this is good At its core, this novel acts as a nudge, pushing you to examine what you believe in and whether or not you act in accordance with your values. The book certainly lacks optimism about the nature of man, as no characters stay true to their society's ideal of moral progress when confronted with the darkness of the human heart. Let it be a lesson to us: we must be watchful of our actions as we engage in the eternal struggle to balance our ideals with the chained beast within.

overall this is a great essay, i wish i could write as good as you. =)
OP gracedrift 7 / 34  
Thank you for the proof-read!! :)

I have to agree with you about the opression inherent in spreading religion. It's not something I'd promote but I think Conrad was criticizing Europeans' failure to achieve their ideals, which consisted of spreading religion.

Let me know if you need anything looked over-I love editing.
Grace

Home / Book Reports / Heart of Darkness Essay (Economics: A Study of Consumption)