Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Help developing a meaningful introduction, and conclusion for "Poem" Frank O'harra

Flynnb 1 / -  
Hey everyone! I'm a first time poster. I just received an assignment in one of my English classes, in which we are supposed to put together another students paper (she cut up a paper and shuffled all of paragraphs, and the interpretive claims of the original author of this paper kind of a weird assignment right? lol) Anyways, The assignment is to write a introduction, and a conclusion after the puzzle pieces have been put together. I have the puzzle pieces put together, however i'm having a lot of trouble actually developing an introduction in which I believe represents the author of this essay and what he is trying to say. Since I didn't actually write the essay, it's messed up the natural flow in which I like to write. The poem is titled "Poem" (And tomorrow morning at 8'oclock in Springfield, Massachusetts) , Frank O'Hara. On a side note I do suggest reading it, i've never been a huge reader of poetry but I think this one is definitely worth the time. I don't want to bombard this thread with text, so i'll provide a little bit of information and if anyone needs more i can provide it.the author came to the conclusion that in the first paragraph o'hair is discussing life and death in the first stanza, and in the second he references to life in terms of sanctity, and lastly he concluded that the devil's dance has become something like life as the time of spiritual trial. He mainly goes about referring to these things through metaphor, however i'm having trouble actually writing the conclusion and figuring out what I should include. If anyone could be of help it would be much appreciated! Are there any helpful tips anyone could give me to point me in the right direction of a good introduction?

In class, in groups, assemble into a logically organized paper the fragments I provide for you. There are 18 pieces. On your own, write an introduction and a conclusion to the paper, and fill in the transitions between paragraphs and ideas.
engwriting101 - / 23  
For a conclusion, one strategy to use is to show the reader how the points you have made and evidence presented fit together. That is to say, show the reader how your argument connects to a larger idea.

Then, take this larger idea and either propose a course of action, a possible solution (or possible problem), or end with a question. In this way, the reader will apply your argument and ideas in order to apply them to a larger meaning.

Another helpful question to consider is; So, what? Why is this important?

For an introduction, answering these 3 question could be helpful as well;

1. What am I writing about? (This is your issue)
2. What are my main ideas/arguments (These are your themes/concepts)
3. Thesis (What you'll ultimately be proving)

A hook is always nice to include as the first sentence of your essay too. Hope this helps!

Home / Book Reports / Help developing a meaningful introduction, and conclusion for "Poem" Frank O'harra