Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

Help with Julius Caesar - Is Brutus The Tragic Hero? Essay

rachelvdb 1 / -  
Hey so I'm just wondering if you could proofread this for me? It needs to be in third person and I also need to add a clincher sentence to the conclusion (I can't think of one) I need to argue why I believe Brutus is the tragic hero

In William Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Julius Caesar Marcus Brutus' naivete diminishes his otherwise noble character. He is easily manipulated, disregards the advice of others and is deceived by Antony, which results in his downfall.

In his well executed speech, he explains his understanding of the situation to the plebeians and cleverly questions theirs: "Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves than that Caesar were dead to live all free men?" This effective and unanswerable question lingers through the Roman crowd. He appeals to their patriotism and rationality while indirectly stating that he cares more about others than he does himself. Because along with being noble, he is also very selfless and has never deceived anyone. Moreover, Brutus claims that Caesar's ambitions aren't as important to him as the freedom and happiness of Rome. For these reasons Antony recognized Brutus as "the noblest Roman of them all."

Brutus has great promise, ability and integrity of character. However, he also has a tragic fault: a lust for power. The reason being is that even though it was Cassius who started the conspiracy, it was Brutus who took charge. He disregards opinions and makes the final decisions in hope to overpower Caesar. This leads to him single-handedly persuading the Romans into believing he saved them from a monstrous tyranny. Overall, he always had correct intentions and never did what he did out of jealousy. For this reason he is well respected for being the only honourable conspirator with heart.

One of Brutus' many bad decisions was that he overlooked Antony's loyalty and Caesar's ambition. The main reason for which he killed Caesar was simply due to the fact that Cassius forged him letters insisting him to do so. He was then manipulated by Antony to have permission to speak at Caesar's funeral. Furthermore, if he had listened to Cassius who initially warned him about Antony, he could have avoided his anticipated yet tragic demise. Nonetheless, in the end Antony honours Brutus by his death: "So mixed in him that Nature might stand up and say to all the world, 'This was a man!'"

In conclusion, Brutus is defeated because of his tragic flaw. He started a personal war against Antony which evolved into a triumphant battle between the Romans. However, the fact that Antony is a better orator than Brutus may be a contributing factor to his victory. He is able to speak with more hatred and logic than any of the conspirators, lending him an advantage in numbers. Overall, Brutus had more determination than anyone. Even his enemy acknowledged him for being vigorous and honourable.
The reason being is that even though it was Cassius who started the conspiracy, it was Brutus who took charge.

The reason is that even though it was Cassius who started the conspiracy, it was Brutus who took in-charge and provided the leadership to it.

. He disregards opinions and makes the final decisions in hope to overpower Caesar.

I guess it is good to give a little more clarifications here to justify that he disregarded others opinions. This is one of the core points for your argument that Brutus was power hungry. So, support this idea with a few evidences. Cite incidents that Brutus acted in the manner to confirm that he had lust for power,

Overall, he always had correct intentions and never didwhat he did out of jealousy.

.... "what he did out of jealousy"? Do you mean;
Overall, he always had correct intentions and never acted out of jealousy
Nabazz - / 1  
Julius Caesar by Nabaz jamal; Please give your comments!

any comments welcome Suggested Essay Questions
1.Is Brutus a villain or a hero?
2.Discuss the power, or lack thereof, of omens and fate in Julius Caesar.
3.Discuss the role of women in Julius Caesar, comparing and contrasting Portia and Calpurnia.
4.Does a single hero or villain exist in Julius Caesar? If so, who? Please explain your reasoning in detail.
montezuma64 4 / 5 1  
1. Brutus is definitely a villain. He back stabbed Julius Caesar and killed him and lied to the people.

Home / Book Reports / Help with Julius Caesar - Is Brutus The Tragic Hero? Essay