Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Holden, like every other teen in the world experiences the same problems adolescents go through

Noah19981127 1 / -  
help with the tenses and relevance to topic

Holden, like every other teen in the world experiences the same problems adolescents go through. In The Catcher in the Rye, Holden faces the problem of opening himself to society and conforming into it. Whether it was emotional or physical problems that led to who Holden is by the end of the book, it played a role in shaping Holden's view of his "childhood." J.D salinger uses the motif of adolescent problems to develop the theme of the hardships of growing up.

Holden's problem becomes evident early in the book. Holden didn't want to "tell [us his] whole goddam autobiography, neither does he tell his parent's anything because,"they were touchy as hell.(1)" This shows Holden never had a good experience with sharing his personal feelings to anyone. He is afraid his parent's would judge the feelings he has. Holden's idea that the world is full of phonies and that he is constantly surrounded by morons and perverts draws him farther from the rest of society. His view on society and his parents is directly transferred to his opinions on opening himself to society. The feeling that his ideas would be judge by society results in his paranoia and inability to conform into society.

Sex is one of the major problems Holden faces throughout the book. As early as in chapter 1 when he said Stradlater "really did [have sex].(27)" Holden struggles with the fact that Stradlater who is the same age as him has have sexual encounters when he hasn't. Despite how much Holden talks about "sex" he admits that "[he's] a virgin"and that his "sex life stinks.(148)" His idea reaching "adulthood" is being translated as being able to have sex. In the case of Holden he struggles reaching "adulthood" even when the chance was given, take the example of the hotel room with the prostitute. His inability to reach adulthood under his definition creates an inner conflict of being stuck in adolescence.

Like many teens, they face the fear of parents. Even though Holden seemed to not care about his parent. Through his responses when his parent's were brought up Holden had a reach most kids would have. Holden was afraid "[his] parents would barge in on [him]"(174) Another instance Holden showed his fear of his parents was when Maurice threatened Holden if he wanted "[his] parents to know [he] spent a night with a whore."(102) His parents were in a way the epitome of conforming into society and reaching adulthood. His fear of his parents also correlates with his inability to reach either aspects of adulthood.

Throughout the book Holden faces many issues that have made him to believe that growing up is tedious. His failed attempt to conform to society due to his paranoia that he would be judged restricts him from expressing his feelings. The distress that he experiences is unimaginably hard for a kid his age. Holden's constant desire to fit into society is repeatedly dropped due his misinterpretation of "adulthood."
Hello friend, what is the topic that was given for this essay?

You can simplify this sentence and shorten it for clarity:
Holden like every other teen in the world experiences the same problems as every other adolescent in the word. go through.

Oh, I see what you mean about the tenses:
Whether it was emotional or physical problems that led to who Holden is became by the end of the book, it the problems...
***And actually, the best way to do it is not to use past tense at all and instead change it all to the present tense. When talking about a work of literature, use the present tense. Like this:

Whether emotional or physical problems are what lead to who Holden becomes by...

: )

Home / Book Reports / Holden, like every other teen in the world experiences the same problems adolescents go through