Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Independent Reading Assignment Critique - A Passage to India

saichicka39 3 / 6  
Hey guys, can you guys please review this critique on A Passage to India. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU READ THE BOOK. The point is to help me peer edit my work. Thank you so much.

My Essay:

Every now and then, a novel comes a along that captures the minds and hearts of readers for its stunning style of writing. Set in the 1920s of British-India, A Passage to India by Edward Morgan Forster accomplishes all of the attributes of an enchanting novel, and further sends the readers spiraling in their own emotions. The exceptional novel depicts of an English woman, Adela Quested, who accused an Indian man, Dr. Aziz, for molesting her in the mystical Marabar Caves of India, and also depicting the affects Dr. Aziz's trial has enraged across British-India. E.M. Forester's style is able to coherent build up the climatic plot and construct dynamic characters, as well as exposing the themes of assumptions of domination, inevitable racism, and the power of lasting friendships. I, being a fellow immigrant Indian, found myself impressed by the bleak universal truths opened in this novel and the sensational style by Forster; this ultimately led to my very own abreaction.

A Passage to India is split into three different parts: Mosque, Caves, and Temple. At the beginning of each part is a chapter dedicated to illustrating the details of each of the settings. I was fascinated how Forster used these vivid descriptions to establish the tone and foundation of characters introduced in the novel. Forster's poetic writing is enforced by the in-depth excursion into the background lives of characters. Characters like Ms. Adela Quested can be vividly imagined and reflected upon because of the extensive disclosure of her thoughts and actions. Another character Forster animates is Dr. Aziz. Dr. Aziz's innocence and naïve character development truly intrigues the readers, that they (including me) become appalled and emotionally attached to Dr. Aziz's trial. These characteristics of Forster's sophisticated writing made me more involved in the emotions and mood portrayed throughout the book.

Another aspect of Forster's writing style that I appreciate is his intrepid employment of raw emotions and feelings. Parallel to the effect of his descriptions of settings and characters, Forster is able to evoke emotions and thoughts of the British in India that are very difficult to express. Forster is able to etch the most clandestine and nationalistic attitudes of the British, and therefore is able to explain the harsh British prejudice towards the Indians. To be honest, I was actually appalled by the way British though of Indians, and made my reconsider my opinion of whether or not Great Britain truly helped revolutionize India.

E.M. Forster's eccentric style of writing altogether leads to the universal truths demonstrated in A Passage to India. The most prominent theme expressed in this novel is the assumption of one nation of obtaining the right to dominate another country. This is the case so when the British are exclusively controlling Indian society and government. British attitudes do not honor Indians but arrogant British attitudes submit Indians into prejudice. This prejudice can be portrayed when Dr. Aziz is harshly accused and bashed by the British of molesting Ms. Adela Quested. The following is an excerpt from Chapter 5 of Mr. Heaslop's (British magistrate) attitude towards controlling India: "'We are not pleasant in India, and we don't intend to be pleasant. We've something more important to do.'" This type of attitude personally made me cringe and reconsider my respect of the British controlling India. However, there are a few characters, like Mr. Fielding and Mrs. Moore, who do not surrender to British arrogance. Unfortunately, the British racism towards Indians can't be masked by the kindness of a few. This theme is can be particularly observed as Russia is pressuring Ukraine to submit to Russian ideals.

Another universal truth exposed in this novel is how the strength of a strong friendship can only be determined by affection towards each other. The prime relationship in this book is between Mr. Fielding and Dr. Aziz. The camaraderie between the two can be described as an Anglo-Indian man who does not dare to view condescendingly to a Muslim Indian, but dares to build an ever-lasting bond with the Indian. Separated by time, land, and social status, Mr. Fielding and Dr. Aziz are still able to get along and be supportive of each other. It was not the same race or religion that bonded the two, but the kind affection that drew them closer. I found this aspect of this book to be very heart-warming. It relieves the stress and tension in the background of British-Indian society. This theme can be seen in our modern world as people all over the world are becoming friends online and in reality.

As a result of these intriguing facets of this novel, I am proud to say that A Passage to India sent me through an emotional catharsis. I felt very involved with all of the characters and settings in the novel. There were times when I read the hard grueling parts of the novel, and that totally upset my day. Thinking from an Indian perspective, perhaps The British arrogance was what motivated Indians to fight for independence. After finishing the book, I am appreciating the harmony and beauty of the book that I haven't been able to while I was reading. If I were to read this book again I would pay attention to key details that might hint towards certain events in the book. There is definitely nothing I would change about A Passage to India. E.M. Forster has clearly outdone himself for me.

Ultimately, A Passage to India by E.M. Forster apprehends readers with its phenomenal style of illuminating writing and the blighting truths of human nature. The theme that most instinctively defines this novel is the assumption of power over others. Forster interweaves all these clever and distinctive aspects of this novel to dispense a compelling catharsis to readers, like me. I would undeniably recommend this book to anyone looking forward to reading a favorite.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I hope these suggestions help. I looked at each paragraph and really focused on parts that could be confusing or areas in the paper that need more clarity. The suggestions are in the order that the paragraphs were written.

1) Delete the a before along in the first sentence. When you describe the Marabar caves of India place a period after India. I want you to do this because I want you to discuss Dr. Aziz's trial more in depth. Do the people become enraged during the trial? Change the word coherent to coherently. I am assuming that you want to say the universal truths were revealed and not opened. Is this correct?

2) I'm unsure if I read this book. However, I feel it is confusing when you discuss the settings of the book then proceed with discussing the author again. If you don't discuss what these settings of the book reveal about the author as you are discussing throughout the paper, it becomes just details. Those details can be distracting.

3) There are a few grammar issues in the last sentence of the third paragraph. Change though to thought. My should be changed to me and Great Britain to British.

4) When you discuss Forster's writing in the next paragraph, are you trying to express how one country assumed that it was there right to dominate another country? Delete the word so after case in the next sentence. I'm unsure what you are trying to express in the next sentence. Are you referring to the mistreatment of Indians? The next sentence only needs to be changed to, "British for" when discussing what happened to Ms. Quested. Did you have respect or did you have an opinion of this control? I was confused about your feelings regarding this matter. I also would delete the information about Russia since it is too confusing to add if you are critiquing a reading assignment specifically about another topic.

5) You use dare twice in one sentence. The first part of the sentence you may state dare to be condescending. Yet, the second dare is misused. When you use it this way it sounds like you don't want them to uplift each other. Delete dare to when you describe the lasting bond between those two. It will change the meaning and be more coherent.

6) Did the grueling details upset your day or upset you? Please make "the" lowercase when describing the British arrogance. Place a comma after again and I.

7) I think you should change apprehend to attract readers.

Home / Book Reports / Independent Reading Assignment Critique - A Passage to India