Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

"An individual to judge right from wrong" - Grapes of Wrath, AP

student123 4 / 13  
Prompt: How does an individual judge right from wrong? What is the role of
the individual in confronting injustice? In an essay that synthesizes and uses for
support at least five intercalary chapters from Grapes of Wrath as well as three
other selections from this unit's readings, discuss the role of the individual in
confronting injustice. Remember to attribute both direct and indirect citations.
Refer to the sources by authors' last names or by titles. Avoid mere paraphrase
or summary.

What I have is the start of an essay, I need feedback to continue. I'm not sure if I am on the right path. Thank you

Every individual plays his or her own role in society, but as humans what is our role in confronting injustices? Is it our duty to look out for others, or is it the communities' role to look out for its members? Opinions about such a topic will never be consistent, varying from person to person. No one has doubted to the fact that personal sacrifices are easy or, that in certain situations, putting oneself first is essential. It is throughout John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath that we follow characters such as Tom, Casey, Ma and Rose of Sharon only to see that at the end of the day it is necessary to look out for one another.

Freshly released from McAlester State Prison, Tom Joad ventures home to the farm realizing his family has packed up in preparation to migrate west looking for work after the bank has "tractored" everyone off the land. Making his way home Tom meets the former preacher Casey who believes "maybe all men got one big soul and ever'body's a part of it" (Steinbeck 33). As they make the trip westward, we slowly see the changes in Tom, who moves from living for himself and thinking nothing of the future to living to help others becoming a leader in the militant organizing of the migrants. Steinbeck begins to develops what he considers the "I" to "we" consciousness, a theory that becomes evident to the main characters through the struggles and a theory that is not only evident in Tom, but one we can see through Ma as well.
abatado /  
This is fairly short essay. You might want to include more text-based evidence and elaborate on your idea (which I'm sure you will). Good luck in the class and don't be discouraged... AP Lit is even worse :) Also, please read my UChicago essay, I need all the help I can get... It's due today!!! Be sure to read the comments that I wrote underneath my thread, if you incorporate them in your comment on my essay, it would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.
Is it our duty to look out for others, or is it the communities' role to look out for its members?

Well.. this part... both options mean the same thing, sort of. We come together as a community and form a government. Like Hobbes and Locke explain, we all give up a little freedom for a lot of protection.

But what about people who are not part of my society? That is the interesting question. I do owe protection and help to others in my society, because that is what I get, too. It is a deal. But maybe the test of morality is our willingness to help people from other societies.

Steinbeck begins to develops develop what he considers the "I" to "we" consciousness, a theory that becomes evident ...---This can be a great thesis statement.

Like a kaleidoscope turning, the intro you have here will change slightly to accommodate the ideas you present in the essay.

:-)

Home / Book Reports / "An individual to judge right from wrong" - Grapes of Wrath, AP