Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

'Individuality = Freedom' Barriers in Macbeth To Kill A Mockingbird, and Robert Frost

justinh8 2 / -  
Essay on present barriers, please edit. thanks1

Individuality allows freedom. The sense of isolation brings no burdensome and as a result, it appears as if human nature seeks this separation to a certain extent. There are four works of literature that truly exemplify the idea of creating barriers. These works include Mending Wall by Robert Frost, Macbeth by William Shakespeare, and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The poem Mending Wall displays the never-ending want for barriers while still scrutinizing its purpose. In addition, the play Macbeth shows a man creating barriers for the want to find isolation. The novel To Kill a Mockingbird is the greatest example of creating barriers. The blacks are physically and socially blocked out from society and are barred off from the rest of the world. The theme of barriers in Mending Wall is clearly prevalent in all three pieces of literature.

It is a mystery why humans show the want for privacy but yet gets frustrated over this sense of security. The poem Mending wall showed a great deal of evidence that supports the idea of creating barriers. The narrator in the poem is a character who appears to despise and criticize "walls" or barriers which is evident when he says, "There where it is we do not need the wall: he is all pine and I am all orchard,". The narrator states that there is no need for a wall because there are no livestock that can go on to the other property. However, although the narrator tries to convince his neighbour that there is no need for the stone wall, the narrator is initially the one who told his neighbour it was time to fix the wall. This is evident when the narrator says, "I let my neighbour know beyond the hill: and on a day we meet to walk the line and set the wall between us once again,". This act by the narrator contrasts what he has stated about not needing walls. This is a clear piece of evidence that human nature seeks barriers. The narrator does not understand the need for the stone walls. However, he has the sense of feeling that makes him act on fixing the walls. The stone wall in this poem is a metaphor that represents both emotional and personal barriers. The stone wall simply represents that humans seek emotional barriers between one another. In addition, the neighbour responds to the narrator by saying, "Good fences make good neighbours,". This statement possibly emphasizes the need for physical separation as well. For neighbours to have a good relationship, privacy must be given its respect. The theme of barriers is an undoubting theme that is present in Mending Wall. However, the same theme is very much present in the play Macbeth as well.

People seek privacy when they want to feel safe. The play Macbeth exemplifies the theme of barriers to perfection. Macbeth was a character of nobility, honor, and respect. However, his choice to kill the king and pursue the crown caused his life to spiral down a path that he could not reverse. This led Macbeth to separate himself from others by creating barriers and is clearly evident when he said, "To be thus is nothing, but to be safely thus. Ours fears in Banquo stick deep,". This revelation indeed proves that he wants to be safe and in order to achieve this; he had to create a barrier between him and Banquo. Macbeth goes on to do this by eventually killing Banquo and many other innocent folks. Macbeth went on a killing spree in order to separate himself from others both physically and socially. The theme of barriers is widely present due to the fact that Macbeth is protecting himself by constantly rebuilding walls that are being destroyed by others. Macbeth is seeking freedom naturally and looking to make some privacy for himself. It is clearly evident that the theme of barriers is shown in Macbeth for he creates space around him to separate himself from others.

Social status is a perfect example of a physical and social barrier. It is the sense of want to stay away from a certain group of people because of skin colour and economical stance. This is shown in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird. There is a physical barrier between the white and the blacks. The white people do not want to associate with the black folks and as a result, scrutinize them to keep the barrier strong. The physical barrier is represented by the two churches. Although serving the same God, the blacks and the whites have their own distinct churches a distance away from each other. The theme of barriers is clearly present by the isolation between the blacks and the whites. In addition, To Kill a Mocking also displays social barriers based on economic status. Poor people are not accepted by the wealthy and do not affiliate with them. The barrier between high class and low class is displayed when Aunt Alexandra said, "Because he is trash. That`s why you can`t play with him,". Aunt Alexandra is displayed wanting to stay away and keep her privacy from the poor. The theme of barriers is extremely present for separations among people are occurring due to race, and social status.
The sense of isolation brings no burdensome and as a result,---This doesn't really make sense. Please revise for the sake of clarity.

The poem Mending Wall displays the never-ending want for barriers, while still scrutinizing their purpose.

It is a mystery why humans show the want for privacy but yet gets frustrated over this sense of security.

The poem Mending W all showed a great deal of evidence that supports the idea of creating barriers.

However, although the narrator tries to convince his neighbor that there is no need for the stone wall, the narrator is initially the one who told his neighbor it was time to fix the wall.

"I let my neighbor know beyond the hill: and on a day we meet to walk the line and set the wall between us once again,".

It is the sense of wanting to stay away from a certain group of people because of skin colour and economical stance.

Aunt Alexandra is displaying wanting to stay away and keep her privacy from the poor.

:)
basketball 7 / 35  
Hi,
You writes fairly well. Strong introduction that explains what you will write about. However, it would be better to
add a short conclusion for your essay.
Good luck,

Home / Book Reports / 'Individuality = Freedom' Barriers in Macbeth To Kill A Mockingbird, and Robert Frost