Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

'Khaled Hosseini and Lawrence Hills' - comparative essay

nicekid101 1 / -  
hey everybody i am new to essay forum and would like help on this essay if someone helps me i will return the favour any criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Often in literature there are common themes that transcend across eras and genres to link to otherwise different pieces of writing. Khaled Hosseini A thousand Splendid Suns and Lawrence Hills Book of Negroes as both authors use similar narratives to depict historical tragedies. Although take place in very different time periods and use different narrative structure there share common themes, which link both stories. Oppression within society , the use of education as a tool of power and the role of women in patriarchal societies are prevalent ideas seen throughout both novels. These themes are approached and dealt with similarly in each work ultimately conveying the same meaning. Both Khaled Hosseini and Lawrence Hill use universal themes of humanity to reveal deeper understanding of the main protagonists and represent underlying ideas of human nature.

To begin, both Laila and Aminata are forced to deal with issues of oppression and freedom within society in their respective time periods. In A Thousand Splendid Suns Laila lives in a tumultuous time fuelled by war and social chaos due to the rise of the Taliban. This as a result causes negative impacts for the well being of the Afghani women "You will stay inside your homes at all times...If you go outside, you must be accompanied by a male relative. If you are caught alone on the street, you will be beaten and sent home" (Hosseini 278). Here Hosseini introduces the power of society over the main protagonist as the rise of the Taliban becomes symbolic for destruction within the novel as Laila loses her identity as a human being and everything she held dear to her. With the change of regimes Laila is no longer free to do as she pleases and as a result becomes a victim to oppressive society she resides in. In the same way, due to the political policies in place Aminata is taken from her home and is introduced into a life of slavery at a young age. With the oppressive region that is America in the late 1700s Aminata's life is predestined to be one of hardship and insecurity due to the racial inequality prevalent throughout America at the time "Englishmen do love to bury one thing so completely in another that the two can only be separated by force: peanuts in candy, indigo in glass, Africans in irons" (103). Hills analogy further demonstrates to the readers the values upheld by American society at the time that unfortunately prove to be an dangerous force over the African people in American society in the 1700s. Aminata although being recognized as a free slave at the end of book does not truly become free as she is still seen as a lesser being and not given the same respect as a Caucasian person. Due to this the reader is left contemplating whether Aminata truly did succeed in regaining her freedom and dignity. Both writers use the value of the societal policies in Afghanistan and America to depict the injustice felt by both characters. It can be argued both Hosseini and Hills realistic and historical approach to the oppression of women due to their settings help develop a stronger reader and character connection making the reader feel invested into the story on deeper emotional levels by commenting on the pain and lack of freedom though their settings.

Furthermore, another timeless theme that both Hill and Hosseini constantly refer to in their novels is the theme of education as it provides both characters opportunities that help them achieve better lives. In a Thousand Splendid Suns Laila is heavily educated in her youth and is encouraged by her father to learn "I know you're still young, but I want you to understand and learn this now. Marriage can wait, education cannot. You're a very bright girl" (Hosseini 114). In this quote Hosseini's helps demonstrate the theme of hope as Laila's fathers statement contrasts the social norms of Afghanistan demonstrating positive influences Laila had grown up. Laila's father belief in her to succeed allows her to continue her education giving her the confidence in the future to stand up to her abusive husband Rasheed. Likewise In the Book of Negroes, education has an important significance to Aminatas growth as an independent women as her abilities to read and write make her valuable to the British "You will be free as any loyalist...you will be given land expected to farm it...there will be plenty for everyone in the vastness of Nova Scotia" (286). It is here where Hill first presents a glimpse of hope for Aminata, as throughout the novel Aminata journey is one of hopelessness. The promise of a greater life due to Aminata's intellect results in her salvation of being a free slave in Nova Scotia and London. In both novels, education proves to be the hidden strength that helps Laila and Aminata mature and gain confidence as they both traverse through treacherous waves of hatred and discrimination It can be stated that both novelists use education suggestively to symbolize the tools required to change ones life for the better, as it becomes an important source of hope that leads to the freedom of both protagonists.

Lastly, the roles of women in both novels are both heavily explored as Laila and Aminata are both used and manipulated by the men of their lands. The men in both novels prove to be major obstacles to the happiness of both characters as they exhibit their power over the woman for personal and nefarious means. In the novel a Thousand Splendid Suns, Afghani women are seen as possessions and not individuals. The plight of women in Afghanistan is accurately depicted by Nanas powerful quote "like a compass facing north, a man's accusing finger always finds a woman. Always" (22). Here Hosseini reveals to readers the dangerous mentality of men in the Muslim world and the lowly role of afghan women in the 1900s. This is shown in in the novel as Rasheed Laila's husband uses his physical dominance and the social policies in place to control Laila and as a result experiences physical and emotional abuse almost to the point of death. Similarly, the role of black women in America during the slave war is even worse as many women are sexually exploited by their slave owners and forced to work hard labor. The hardship of black women in the slave trade is accurately described in this quote "I wouldn't wish beauty on any woman who has not her own freedom, and who chooses not the hands that claim her" (4). Aminatas beauty force her to become lusted after by many white men who see her as nothing more than a tool and as a result is sexually assaulted by her first owner Mr. Appleby. The choice to use women as the main protagonists can be argued represent the broader idea of human suffering and inner strength as in most cultures women are seen as resilient and strong willed. It could also be used to contrast the strength of women to the evil of men who only see power and dominance as the most important. In the end Hill and Hosseini use of men as the main antagonist of the novel represents the unfair gender inequality prevalent in both in societies at the time.

So in conclusion, although the women in a Thousand Splendid Suns and Book of Negroes are placed in different historical time periods they go through similar paths and obstacles that ultimately demonstrate similar themes within both texts. Themes such as education as source of power, oppression within society and gender inequality in male dominated societies are all ideas both novelists saw as important to the integrity of the story and felt compelled to write about the historical tragedies taken place in mostly forgotten times that helps furthers character development and symbolizes an collective understanding that some themes in literature are timeless in its use of revealing bigger ideas of discrimination and freedom.
saurabh93 11 / 94  
So far, I think the essay is very focused and there are no grammatical errors that i came across, except Nana's powerful quote (apostrophe)

Can you look at my essay if you can? Thanks in advance!!!

Home / Book Reports / 'Khaled Hosseini and Lawrence Hills' - comparative essay