Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Literary Response Analysis "tell tale heart"

cmchristi1 1 / -  
In the world there has always been the normal people and then the crazy psychotic people, that's where the main dangers are. In Edgar Poe's story Tell Tale Heart, a man explains how he kills another man for no real reason, and still believes he is sane. To begin, this dark story is about "a man telling of how he kills this old man. He explains of how he loves the old man, but the old mans eye was like a "vulture-a pale blue eye, with a film over it." Throughout the story he explains how he isn't insane, and how his disease only "sharpened" his senses. Poe's story uses irony, foreshadowing, and symbolism, to help create more detail to this dreadful night.

First of all, Poe uses irony to make the story darker. The man believes he is sane throughout the killing "You fancy me mad...You should have seen how wisely I proceeded," (355). This is ironic because the man tells himself he is normal that he is killing a man because of his eye. Also he admires himself like this is great how good he is doing. He believes this thing he has is only helping him "why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses-not destroyed-not dulled them," (354). He believes only that he is doing well and becoming keener.

In addition to irony, this short story also uses foreshadowing. Early on in the story it says, "Presently, I heard a slight groan, and I knew it was the groan of mortal terror," (356). The specific event being foreshadowed is the old man being killed by the mad man. The old man knows that something is in his room. It clearly states in the second paragraph, "It is impossible to say....and thus rid myself of the eye forever" (355).

He clearly establishes his mission to kill the man in this sentence.

Lastly, Edgar Allen Poe uses symbolism in his short story. One example is the heart pounding, "I felt that I must scream or die!-and now-again!-hark!-louder! Louder! Louder! Louder," (359). The heartbeat symbolized the guilt. The mad man thought that the old mans heart was still beating even though it was just his conscience. Another example is, "a pale blue eye, with a film over it," (355). The symbol in this quote was the film over the eye, how the man couldn't see as well what was going on right under his nose. The old man wasn't able to see that the one man he befriended was crazy.

All in all, the story's literary elements helped portray the characteristics of the mad man. Edgar Allen Poe created a dark, psychotic story using the literary elements irony, foreshadowing, and symbolism. Poe's overwhelming story might only be just a nightmare. This story is recommended to those we have a dark side and like to be a little scared.

Please tell me what i need to change..Edit and leave comments
In the worldThere have always been the normal people and then the crazy psychotic people, and that's where the main dangers are.

In Edgar Poe's story, the Tell Tale Heart, a man explains how he kills another man for no real reason, and still believes he is sane.

The man believes he is sane throughout the killing, saying, "You fancy me mad...You should have seen how wisely I proceeded," (355).

This is ironic because the man tells himself it is normal that he is killing a man because of his eye.

Also he admires himself like this is great how good he is doing.---This sentence needs work!

The symbol in this quote was the film over the eye, how the man couldn't see as well what was going on right under his nose.---and also, the killer could not see that he was insane.

The old man wasn't able to see that the one man he had befriended was crazy.

Poe's overwhelming story might only be just a nightmare.

:)

Home / Book Reports / Literary Response Analysis "tell tale heart"