Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Monologue - Choose a character from the Crucible

I3renda 1 / -  
If any of u guys have read the crucible and have tips and ideas of what i should do that would be great :)

The task of the assignment is to write and perform a monologue that explores the motivations, thoughts, feelings and perspective of one of the characters from the play. I can choose any character i like; however, my representation of them must be authentic and maintain Miller's original portrayal. The performance must be 3-4 minutes. 3:30minutes ideally to get an A.

So my problem is, is that i can't choose a character. I was thinking Abigail Williams because she's in most parts of the book and i can relate to her acting in the movie and theres lots of context about her character, motivations in the book and on the internet but i have no idea what to write about. Should i write a monologue about her talking bout how she wants John Proctor and how much she wants to 'eliminate' Elizabeth (John Proctors wife) so that they can be together? But i don't know how to start it off and how to incorporate how miller uses particular language like the very descriptive/ umm sort of metaphorically/ poetic devices he uses? idk how to describe it but its very complex and hard to come up with authentic creative stuff like in the book. I want to be dramatic and use very intelligent smart words to get a high VHA or A+ but I'm not that good of a writer. I'm thinking of doing a scene after john proctor and abigail has that secret/alone/flirty talk together in act one i think and then her talking to a friend or idk to herself but its like her thoughts and her feelings of the situation? I have to come up with around 600 words or more that will fill the 3:30mins in less than a week and i have NO IDEA HOW TO START IT and we only get 1 draft to hand into the teacher cuz its senior so ital have to be really good that way she can mark best work b4 the actual hand in submission and the performance to the class.

If anyone could help me that would be great! i desperately need some help!
preemiumx - / 1  
This is a really cool assignment! I played John Proctor in my school's production of The Crucible, and I think you've got a great starting point for your scene.

My advice is to not go by the movie. That's their interpretation of the play, and yours or your teacher's is going to be different. I like where you're going with Abigail talking about how she feels after John rejected her attempts at him. This gives you an opportunity to explain where Abigail's mind is following dancing with Tituba, and realizing that fabricating the entire witchcraft thing can help her get rid of Elizabeth. Instead of talking to a friend, you should talk to yourself in the scene. It shows a craziness to her that no one understands, except herself.

Good luck!

Home / Book Reports / Monologue - Choose a character from the Crucible