Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

Olive Kitteridge semester paper thesis.

qomoco 24 / 107  
Assignment: Focus on a critical issue related to the novel, research the issue, and write a 12-15 page essay voicing your opinion in the critical conversation. Narrow down your argument to a thesis. To prove your argument/thesis, you will need to use support from the novel itself and from your secondary sources.

Olive Kitteridge explores the dark realities we are afraid to face, secrets we are afraid to share, and fundamentally the unknown - the inside of a house (family matters), the future, the reasonings behind the "acts", the human conditions and interactions, the "changes" over time and the suddenness of life. When Henry and Olive were captivated by drug seekers in a local hospital, with thoughts of death been near, they shared with each their secret opinions of their son's leaving. Later having survived, Henry assured those tirades originated from fear,though Olive know their relationship has been changed. Human life is so fragile, so delicate; our souls, our hearts is just like a finely polished glasses - crystal when handled with care - though one day it's destined to shattered.
comet2000 10 / 48  
I don't think you would need to use quotes on acts and changes.

so far it seems ok.
When Henry and Olive are captivated ...
When writing about a piece of literature, it is goo to write in the present verb tense.

...captivated by drug seekers in a ...---- is captivated the right word? This sounds like they were "captivated," as in, "they were enthralled by the sight of the drug seekers." Captivated usually means deeply interested.

...local hospital, with thoughts of death been near, lingering in their minds, they shared with each their secret opinions of about their son's leaving.

this paper is intended to show that Kitteridge is sending a message to readers that human life is so fragile, so delicate; our souls, our hearts is just like a finely polished glasses - crystal when handled with care - though one day it's destined to shattered.

(I added those words to the beginning so that the teacher knows for sure that this is the thesis statement. Do you like it that way?)

:-)
OP qomoco 24 / 107  
Yes, thanks Kevin. It does make it clearer, and I need to find a new word for "captivated."

Home / Book Reports / Olive Kitteridge semester paper thesis.