Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

'The pear' by John Steinbeck - I need help about thesis statement

passguy 1 / 2  
Here is my thesis statement

" The book 'The pear' by John Steinbeck is a good example about characters. It shows different and unique characteristics. Kino is a very responsible character, Juana, who is more practical and the doctor, who is represent evil."

I asked my teacher is it ok. she told me it should be in one sentence. like " In the pearl, John Steinbeck ___attitude__ , because of ...___three reasons__"

what im trying to do now is to describe three characters, Kino Juana and doctor. I really don't know how to write them in one sentence. plz help me!
OP passguy 1 / 2  
In the Pearl, John Steinbeck deeply describe the character, Kino Juana and doctor are unique.

this is one i have
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
How about, "In Steinbeck's novel The Pear, characters are given unique traits such as the responsibility seen in Kino, the practicality displayed by Juana, and the evil illuminated by the doctor."
OP passguy 1 / 2  
Here is my essay

Kino is a responsible person for his family. He is the man of his family; he realizes his role in his family and takes full responsible to do what is necessary to fulfill his family's needs. In the beginning of the book, he is proud of his baby and wife. When Coyotito gets stung by the scorpion, Kino shows us how important is his family to him.

...
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning!

Your essay turned out very well! It is very organized, you stay on your topics, and you use clear details to explain your opinions.

There are some mechanical errors:

"Kino is the responsible one in his family . He is the man of his family; he realizes his role in his family and takes full responsibility to do what is necessary to fulfill his family's needs. In the beginning of the book, he is proud of his baby and wife. When Coyotito gets stung by the scorpion, Kino shows us how important his family is to him. He takes the baby to a doctor who only helps rich people. When Kino finds the pearl, he plans to sell the pearl and make enough money to support his wife and send his son to school. He has a wonderful dream and he is happy with it. He thinks the pearl can bring good luck to his family. Greed begins to fill Kino's mind. His greed becomes strong and he beats his wife to protect the pearl. Later, he knows the pearl has brought the family a lot of evil. So in the end, Kino changes; he realized that all he needed is his family and he flings the pearl into the ocean.

Juana is a character who is very down to earth. She loves her family and respects her husband. For example "When Kino finished his breakfast, Juana come back to the fire and ate her breakfast."(Insert your citation here) She is satisfied with the way they are living and she is going along with Kino's dream. For instance, When Kino find the Pearl, evil begin to happening in their home. Juana quickly begins to realize that the pearl is evil, but she still continues to go along with Kino's dream. Eventually, she begins to suggest the destruction of the pearl and propose that they throw the pearl back to he ocean. Juana's remind keep Kino in a right way (This is confusing-perhaps rewrite to something such as, "Juana keeps Kino focused") .

The doctor represents evil in this book. H e lives in the rich part of the town. His life is different from Kino's. He is a very greedy man. He only helps people if they have money. "No, they never have any money. I, I alone in the world am supposed to work for nothing- and I am tired of it. See if he has any money!" (Insert your citation here). He refused to see Kino in the first time because he didn't have money. After he heard Kino gets the Pearl, h e went to Kino's house and heals the baby. All he wants is money.

The responsible character of Kino, the more practical one of Juana and the evil of the doctor makes this book interesting. The writer creates deeply developed characters, and a good book should have good characters."

I hope this helps.

Home / Book Reports / 'The pear' by John Steinbeck - I need help about thesis statement