Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

Powerful Afghani women in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" thesis help

wrighte 1 / -  
I am doing a research paper on the taliban's rule over the women of afghanistan but am not sure if my thesis statement is arguable enough. It would also help if my thesis was three points but I am really only stuck on two. (Life at home and life in public) Here is what i have so far--

Khaled Houssini's novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns, depicts the effects of the taliban's oppressive rule over the white washed Afghani women as seen in and out of the public eye.

Khaled Houssini's A thousand Splendid Suns, depicts the harsh restrictions on Afghani women after the rise of the Taliban domination.
Wanderer_x 5 / 88  
maybe something like...The novel, not just limiting itself to Afgani women's plight, portrays their earnest longing for freedom amidst the external subservience, their capacity to take bold steps despite adversities and their innate ability to love even in the atmospehere of hatred.

(If you want I may explain a bit with examples from the story)
This is a good start, but each point within the thesis statement should be as simple as possible.

I found some great resources by googling this: thousand splendid suns themes

List three of the themes you find, and then go back to your thesis statement. Let the thesis statement be a thoughtful observation about the author's perspective. Say something about the author's intentions. Then, use each of the 3 points to support your observation about the author's intentions.

It will be arguable if you claim that Houssini has a particular view or intention that he does not necessarily have. Try to infer something about Houssini's personality, and that will make a great thesis statement. It will make it original.
Tiemseng - / 1  
'Power of women in some cultures' - Thesis statement for Thousand Splendid Suns

I wonder if this statement is good? ( My English is not so good)

In some culture women are powerless, they can't live the life they want. Such as forced marriages, lack of educational opportunities.

Need help ASAP.. please
Sheri_Editor - / 14 9  
Your idea is good but, yes, you do need to fix the thesis statement. The current statement you've posted isnt a sentence. Instead, you have a series of fragments.

Consider using one of the following:

- In some cultures women are powerless to live the life they choose whether by forced marriage or lack of educational opportunities.
- Whether by forced marriage or lack of educational opportunities, some cultures hinder or remove a woman's power to live the life she chooses.

Home / Book Reports / Powerful Afghani women in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" thesis help