Home / Book Reports   % width NEW!

PRESERVING CULTURAL IDENTITY (in ref. to In "Renaissance Pears," John Seabrook)

eddiev 3 / 3  
Here is the prompt:

In "Renaissance Pears," John Seabrook writes about different kinds of objects that become central to creating cultural identity - in this case, the ancient Fiorentina pear tree and Renaissance painting. Referring to Seabrook's essay and/or your own culture, do you think it is important to preserve the things that make up cultural identities?

RESPONSE:

The preservation of cultural identities allow us to maintain our heritage and educate people of other diverse cultures from different regions of the world. We can create links between various cultures giving us a better understanding of the world. It is necessary to preserve certain aspects which make up cultural identities because it allows us to distinguish cultures from each other. In a "Renaissance Pears" by John Seabrook, Isabella Dalla Ragione and her father Livio Dalla Ragione attempt to keep certain items such as fruits, and tools that are distinctive and are of origin form their homeland in central Italy from vanishing into the past. Livio Dalla Raginoe not only preserves fruit trees and agricultural tools, but his house as well. "His house is larger than it looks, with additions built over centuries; the original part is a thousand years old" (Seabrook pg 9). John Seabrooks metaphorically represents Livio preserving his culture by keeping the original parts to it but at the same time he has gained more knowledge as time has progressed and cultures have evolved he adds to his house. The idea illustrated is that the original structure of the house is still thriving, making it unique from every other house since it maintains it originality.

Isabella Dalla Ragione is set on an ongoing relentless pursue of keeping traditions alive and articles which best exemplify her homeland's culture. For example one Isabella Dalla Raginoe's objects that set her culture of central Italy aside from other others is the "Fiorentina" pear tree. "Until recently, the pear was thought to have disappeared from central Italy, where it once flourished." (Seabrooks pg 1). It is different from all other trees, this ancient pear tree belongs to a particular region making central Italy the exclusive home for the Fiortenina tree, not western or eastern Italy but central Italy. The preservation of identities is not only in central Italy, but worldwide were unique characteristics of people's cultural background allow us to be different. In the Hispanic culture we are identified by our language spoken. Many Hispanics from various regions such as South America and Mexico migrate to the United States of America were English is spoken. We are culturally identified by the language we speak in our homeland\s, making us different instead of being classified as just Hispanics we can be classified as Mexicans, South Americans, and Central Americans. People are proud of where they come from, they don't want to be seen as the same, they want to be different, which in turn can contribute things such as different ideas, traditions and practices together into a melting pot giving us these new traditions we have today but keeping the old ones at the same time.

HELP AM I OFF TOPIC ?
HOW CAN I MAKE IT BETTER?

Home / Book Reports / PRESERVING CULTURAL IDENTITY (in ref. to In "Renaissance Pears," John Seabrook)