Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 19

The problematic and the title in the The Grapes of Wrath

zahra 2 / 5  
hello everyone,
well I am trying to work on my dissertation, but seem to be difficult to choose a title of the thesis as well as the problematics;indeed it is about the novel THE GRAPES OF WRATH of john steinbeck;am rea." I can't get organized and am so bogged down now that I am about ready to call it quits. Do you have any suggestions

do you have any suggestions about the problematic and the title as i want to discuss one theme in the novel as the themes seem to be the core message transmitted in this novel!

here is my email to contact me directly<missz87@yahoo>
hear from you very soon.
best regards
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'm afraid we can't answer questions privately, but I'll try to help here. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "problematic"; you might need to be a little more specific for me to help you with that. Do you have a particular theme in mind? There are, of course, several themes in the book, such as identity, search for justice, choices/regret, man's inhumanity to man, the redemptive power of family and friendship. It sounds like you really need to do some serious thinking about what direction you want your dissertation to go. Why are you writing this dissertation? (You don't have to answer, just think about it.) Think about what you hope to accomplish by the time you are finished.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP zahra 2 / 5  
well thanks for your re*ply.well the problematic is the quetion to be asked ,beside i have chosen the* theme of the saving power of the family and friendship.how ever i have a problem how to choose a title for the *dissertation and how to shape the problematic???

*i really need your help
*hear from you very soon.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It's good that you've managed to narrow it down! There are innumerable directions in which your dissertation could go; I'll just suggest one. In his treatment of the theme of the saving power of the family and friendship, Steinbeck creates a central female character, Ma Joad, whose position of power within the family transcends typical family dynamics of the time and demonstrates that families create their own power structures which are more beneficial than societal hierarchies.

This may be more specific than what you had in mind, but it shows you one direction you could take. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP zahra 2 / 5  
WELl THNKS , but to tell the truth i understood the theme as it describes or denotes the power of the family when gathered besides that the friendship can also establishes a true kinship.

so can you help me with suggested titles or problematics i ll be very grateful coz am really in need for help
have a nice day
bye
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

My suggestion would be that you sit down with your dissertation adviser to discuss how to handle this. It sounds as if you are asking me to specifically define your dissertation thesis for you, and I don't feel that would be an appropriate thing for me to do, as you will be having to spend several months researching and writing your dissertation, and need to be comfortable with the direction you have chosen. Simply writing that the Grapes of Wrath contains the theme of the saving power of the family and friendship is not going to be in-depth enough, but I don't know your background, or why you picked this topic, or what type of degree this is for, or what previous dissertations have been written on the topic before, or any of the myriad other things I would need to know to advise you what, specifically, your dissertation should be about. I think you need to discuss this with someone in your major's department, an adviser, if you have one.

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP zahra 2 / 5  
by the way this is the plan am going to work initially
*intro
chapter one:Steinbeck,The pride of Salinas
1_steinbeck biography
2_steinbeck legacy
chapter two:The AMerican literay landmark novel"The Grapes of wrath"
1-the novel as steinbeck masterpiece
2-synopsis of the novel
3- main characters.
Chapter three:
(this chapter normally will be concerned with the problematic i have to ask!so i have to make some thing here. my first idea come to mind is the following

1_steinbeck thematic i deas in the novel
2-analysis of the cenral theme represented by this sampling of steinbeck'swork.
a/highlight on the vivid theme in the novel.
b/the saving power of family and fellowship.
c/analysis of steinbeck's novel depiction of the loyalty and commitment of characters one another to establish True kinship
Conclusion
bibliography.
thats it all i need your orientation and correction of some words that may seem not appropriate
and as i said this is the first tried draft
what do you think of it???
OP zahra 2 / 5  
well i have spoken to my advisor but he asked me to llok for the former my self so....!!!i got a problem to do that!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've got a very good start on it! The words are all appropriate except perhaps here: analysis of steinbeck's novel depiction of the loyalty and commitment of characters to one another to establish true kinship - If you say "Steinbeck's novel depiction" then you are saying that the way he depicted it was "novel," that is, new. I think perhaps you meant "the depiction in Steinbeck's novel..."

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP zahra 2 / 5  
well hnks lo
concerning he title you mean the appropriae staemen is "analysis of the depiction of the _loyalty and commimen of characters to one another to establish true kinship _in steinbeck's novel???

how about he black "to" and "true" why did you make them darker??was there aproblm with them?
thnks lot sara
bes regards.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Yes, I put "to" in bold because you had omitted it, and "true" in bold because you had started it with a capital "T". I think the statement would be clearer if you said "analysis of the depiction in Steinbeck's novel, The Grapes of Wrath, of the loyalty and commitment of the characters to one another in establishing true kinship." Subtle changes in wording can change the meaning, though; make sure this is what you meant, if you use it.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
dcanby 1 / 2  
The Grapes of Wrath dark humor

For my summer reading project, my teacher wants me to find examples of dark humor in The Grapes of WRath and explain why he used it there. Honestly, every moment of the text was depressing...
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

How long does your essay need to be? You can begin with choosing the most obvious examples to analyze, and that may be the easiest way to get started with your essay. Once you begin, you may find that there are more obvious instances than you originally thought, thus making the essay easier. What is the first example you think you could use?

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
dcanby 1 / 2  
it has to be a page long...and thanks that strategy helped me find some
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
You are welcome.

When you have finished you can post it here and I will look it over for you.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
neda123 - / 1  
Diary Entry From Grapes Of Wrath

A creative writing assignment for my AP English class is to write a diary entry from a passage in the book as one of the characters. It is suppossed to be 1-2 pages in length.
freezard7734 17 / 209  
Ah. I remember doing this in class before. I hope you don't mean for us to write you one. What do you want to ask?
Yeah, this is an excellent assignment. Have you ever kept a diary? It should be super easy.

Are you still learning English? Is there some problem you are having?
notagoodwritter /  
This is a good assignment! Its really easy if you have experience , as kevin said, of keeping a diary. As DEC said, what are you really asking us to do?

Good luck
Megan

Home / Book Reports / The problematic and the title in the The Grapes of Wrath