Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Scene 11 Analysis of A Street Car Named Desire (By Tennesse Williams)

WakaDHaka 1 / 2  
Hello, I am doing a scene analysis for scene 11 of the play A Street Car Named Desire. A general theme for the ENTIRE play would be fantasy's inability to overcome reality. However, in the last scene, I believe one theme (present solely in scene 11) is that fantasy aids in coping with reality.

Proof: Stella pretends to believe that Stanley didnt rape Blanche and Blanche images the doctor as some sort of wealthy handsome man that comes to save her.

What themes are present in scene 11?

Thank you!
avishagopal 1 / 2  
Loneliness is another theme present in the last scene.

As the doctor escorts Blanche out of the house, she sees the kindness in his face. She associates kindness with the end of loneliness. The doctor instills strength in Blanche and does not force her to walk out of the house alone. Through the kindness and companionship of the doctor, she willing walks out of the house.

Also the clash of classes.

Blanche exits the house as she entered. She walks through the "common" poker game in a very refined, proper way. She tells them not to get up, and leaves. They continue to play poker. The opposing ways of life are evident in this final scene of the play. The poker players are still drunk and common, Stella is classy and concerned for her sister, Mitch stares at the table upset, and Stanley tries to woo his wife back to their previous ways. All the different upbringings, including those of the doctor and nurse, are mixed into this scene, representing a modern society.

Home / Book Reports / Scene 11 Analysis of A Street Car Named Desire (By Tennesse Williams)