Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

About a short story "Fair Extension" by Stephen King

Roxal 3 / 13  
The short story Fair Extension, written by the famous Stephen King, is about a man named David, and his deal with Elvied, who is a merchant selling "extension" of anything: credit, penis, time, and even life. David, who was diagnosed with cancer prior to meeting the merchant, successfully bargains a life extension in exchange for twisting his hated best friend's fortuitous life into a living nightmare. While the story itself is intriguing, one is often mindful of a daunting question: Provide that you are at David's situation, will you sacrifice Tom's wonderful life as a payment for turning the table around? I think there will be many Davids in reality.

In the story, Tom, David's hated best friend, is the primary victim of David's jealousy. Believing that Tom's continuous successes are nothing but luck, David does not hesitated to sacrifice the best friend to prolong and better his life. As a result, Tom's fortuitous life takes a drastic and irreparable downfall: the death of his wife; the paralysis and prosecution of his sons; the misfortune of his daughter; the falling of his business. All these misfortunes are the results of David's bitterness towards Tom's seemingly effortless achievements, and David, who feels only antipathy for Tom and his family loved ones, are thriving in all aspects of life.

In reality, there are many people like David; they will not hesitated to change their lives around if the cost is the damnation of their adversaries. This behavior is not selfishness; it is, sad to say but true, normal and widely accepted in our society. Consider we have the chance to control and inflict damages to someone we despise, who we will feel no guilt and remorse for, many people are not reluctant - and happy - to uptake the opportunity. This action, as unjust and atrocious as it looks, is just in our nature; it is built in our gene, which is passed down by years of endless evolutions.

The story Fair Extension, while it is an interesting story, outlines a negative yet normal aspect of human nature. When we are given the opportunity to change our lives at the cost of our adversaries' fortunes , many of us will not reluctant to accept such opportunity.
kshewu 2 / 8  
I understood the summary of the book, sounds interesting, but what exactly do you need opinion on; about what we think about David's action? or about what we would do if we were in David's shoes... specify
trulyblessed 1 / 2  
This is very good. Ilike how it grabs my attention.keep it up
I see some grammar errors:

...they will not hesitate to change...

... their lives around if the cost is the damnation of their adversaries---The cost is their damnation?
Maybe you should change one of those words.

The story "Fair Extension," while it is an interesting story, outlines a negative yet normal aspect of human nature.

I think your thesis statement is not clear enough. Make a plain argument, a bold argument that not everyone would agree with. Say something strange and quirky about the story. Make it unique! :-)

Home / Book Reports / About a short story "Fair Extension" by Stephen King