Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

A stranger at home (based on My Oedipus Complex)

caro39 1 / 1  
Contrast Larry's life before and after his father's return from the war. (Based on 'My Oedipus Complex' by Frank O'Connor)
Outline
Being his father at war, Larry's life was easier and quieter than after his father's return.

1) Larry's relationship with his mother
a) Larry's attitude living with his mother
b) Larry's attitude living with both of his parents
2) Larry's relationship with his father
a) Larry's attitude living only with his mother
3) Larry's routine

Being his father at war, Larry's life was easier and quieter than after his father's return. While Larry's father was at war, Larry's relationship with his mother was close and caring. Being the only company she had, Larry caught his mother's constant attention. Larry could behave the way he wanted without receiving any punishment. However, Larry immediately lost his mother's attention once his father returned home. For example, Larry was hushed by his mother every time he spoke and he had to adapt his routine to his father's one, what I will analyse further on. Moreover, Larry's relationship with his father was also influenced by the man's return. Before the peacetime, Larry hardly knew his father and his absence did not seem to disturb the child's life. Larry saw his father's visits like Santa Claus' ones, Larry's father was almost a stranger to him. In contrast, once Larry's father was back, Larry developed certain relationship with him though it was not the best. It was rather a competition for the mother's attention than a family bond. Besides marking a "before and after" in Larry's relationship with his parents, the father's return also disrupted Larry's routine. While Larry's father was at war, Larry used to wake up every morning feeling 'like the sun' - warm, happy -, then he used to go to the big bed to have his usual morning talking with his mother and late in the afternoon they used to have a walk together. Conversely, when his father returned from the war, Larry woke up feeling like a 'bottle of champagne' - very cold, sad -, he was no more allowed to have his usual morning talking with his mother in the big bed and he has to go to afternoon walks with his father instead of his mother. Larry was not the centre of his mother's attention any more. His life turned from easy and quiet to a complete nightmare in only a few days.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
The essay was very easy to follow and the outline was really helpful.
This seems to be rough draft. I just want to give you a few reminders. I would avoid including that you will analyze information further. Instead of describing it as the man's return, I would change it to "his return". Towards the end of the essay, you begin to change your tense. You state that "he has to go to afternoon walks". I would change this to, "he had to go". Also, centre should be center.

Another slight suggestion is to make sure you separate your sentences and form paragraphs. I also think that Larry's loss of attention from his mother is a little less developed. The father's relationship with Larry after the war has more details.
OP caro39 1 / 1  
Thank you.! Your pieces of advice are really helpful.! I'll take them.! :)

Home / Book Reports / A stranger at home (based on My Oedipus Complex)