Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

Supporting evidence for the lack of true love in King Lear

Seddo 1 / -  
Hi guys. I'm working on a Critical Response to Text essay for King Lear.

I'm supposed to respond to the idea of illusions. I had an idea for a thesis... I think it's courageous and I like it, but I'm grasping for really solid way sto back it up.

I know there's supporting evidence somewhere in the text, but I could use some inspiration finding it.
If there are any scenes, quotes or ideas you think could help me, please let me know!

Here's the thesis:

In William Shakespeare's King Lear, there is no such thing as true love, only the dreams and ideals which project onto others.

P.S: Let me know if the thesis needs work too, please.
alexander barne - / 1  
Sorry, but there is indeed true love in 'King Lear'. Kent's loyalty love and devotion to Lear is wonderful and remarkable. The same for Cordelia. Unfortunately,the way Lear is invariably portrayed, their is absolutely no justification for their love and it makes their future behavior toward him as either foolish or nonsensical. The key, of course, is the opening scene. In spite of what Lear ultimately does in 1/1 the actor playing Lear must show, as much as possible, the love he feels for both of them. Even as he bans them both, he knows he's making a terrible mistake, but his pride, arrogance, vanity, tenaciousness and lack of self control dominate. Lacking this, their loyalty and devotion to Lear makes no sense. Doing 1/1 this way is difficult but it can be done. Lear doesn't need most of the play to discover this consciously. He says as much in 1/4 and 1/5. Lear realizes it before he goes mad and it is this realization that helps bring about his madness. Done this way, the love and the tragedy in King Lear is greatly enhanced.

Home / Book Reports / Supporting evidence for the lack of true love in King Lear