Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

symbolism and mood in The Death of a Salesman

aiden 1 / -  
hi
i must answer the question, "how does Arthur Miller create the mood and atmosphere of "death of a salesman"? discuss his use of symbolism.

i have started this essay and i have been writing about his use of lighting and sound. i have discussed his use of the flute music as symbolism. i was wondering what other ways does arthur miller create a mood and what other uses of symbolism are useful in this essay.

thanks for the help
Here are some sites you should find very helpful. Good luck!

uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/general/glossary.htm

helium.com/knowledge/199183-symbols-in-death-of-a-salesman-by-arthur-miller-54k
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
i havent looked at those sites, but from what I remember, there were instances where Willy blends his dreamy memories with reality, thereby creating a mood a reminiscence and wishfulness. I also felt sympathetic to the brothers but angry at the father. As for atmosphere, constricted atmosphere, mostly everything happens by their small home, only dreams and off stage references to previous events. also the closing in of the apartment next door.

As for symbolism, there's alot...take anything that they use and you can relate to each person's attitude/personality. some objects for that: pen/apartment/flowers/stockings/etc...

Home / Book Reports / symbolism and mood in The Death of a Salesman