Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

"Take my sins. Eat them for my sins....."; Based on Peter Shaffer's play " Equus"

Equus 1 / 1  
Q>"Take my sins. Eat them for my sake..." Consider the significance of Biblical references/imagery and Christian rituals in the play.

In Peter Shaffer's play " Equus," biblical Imagery and references are created to develop a world for a modern citizen Alan, who is not influenced by modern society. The object of love and worship dictate his life.

As a child, his mother read the Bible to him, "hour after hour" teaching him about his lord, thus developing his religious worship. His worship leads him to believe that horses are "Godslave , Faithful and True" (Shaffer 72). First noticed when his mother told him about the "Christian cavalry [that] first appeared into the new world"(Shaffer 31). Pagans thought that "rider and horse" was one creature, a god. The violence probably was of interest to him, and therefore hung a picture of Christ "loaded with chains" while the centurion" were laying on the stripes," at the tip of his bed (Shaffer 45). Alan worshipped the scene so much that he used all his pocket money to purchase it. It is not normal for children at a young age to purchase and hang pictures that are "...a little extreme " over their beds. His father tore it down, and Alan replaced Christ with a Horse, thus linking the horse with his god. The horse becomes his new purpose of worship.

Alan's worship towards Prince, rises above anything he ever took a liking too. One night, when his father passed his room, he happened to notice Alan "chanting" biblical phrases, in which he identifies Jesus with Prince ( Shaffer 50). "Prince begat Prince...Prance begat Prankus," he goes on kneeling to end with " Behold - I give you Equus, my only begotten son!" Every phrase he chanted that night was linked to memories he had with a horse once, thus being influenced by biblical worship. Prince is a horse, which came from a story his mother read to him as a child, his belief and love for this character is reflected as breathing, living creature called Nugget. Alan makes references to the old and the New Testament, he knows that god is everywhere and lives in everything, even horses. The very first time he rode a horse, he noticed " there was a chain," a chain in the horse's mouth, which made a noose, that the rider held onto (Shaffer 48). Jesus was in chains, and so was the horse. Alan's belief is so strong that he believed he could talk to Equus. In his conversations with Equus, he believed that Equus wanted to be free, free of the chains and the "sins of the world," in turn Alan and Equus would become one. "Horse and rider shall be one beast"(Shaffer 66-67). The memory of is mother speaking about the "Christian cavalry [that] first appeared into the new world [the] Pagans thought "rider and horse" was one creature (Shaffer51). In Alan's mission of freeing Equus, he arrives at his god's home. "A square resembles a box, enclosed on three sides"(Shaffer 13). It resembles a stable for the horses, however Alan views this area as holy ground, a temple, the birthplace of his God, Jesus of Nazareth. The stable in turn becomes his Church, "The Holy of Holies" his place of worship where he can be himself, not influenced my modern society (Shaffer 67). At his holy of holies, Nugget is portrayed as Equus, the god's slave. It is here, that Alan washes and tends to Equus, preparing him before they both ride into " his place of Ha-Ha" (Shaffer 70). In the moments of preparation, Equus looks at Alan with his gentle eyes, speaking to him. The eyes of Equus are portrayed as the all Seeing Eye. Since god lives everywhere and in everything, he seest all. This was the first time he heard the horse speak, asking him to mount and ride him.

The first time it was ride or fall, it was known as "The Straw Law" (Shaffer 67). Jesus/ Equus was born in the straw, and that is his law. Alan spends three weeks preparing Equus and himself for a glorious night. On the night of their journey, like a couple in love, Alan completely naked touches Equus all over. "Everything. Belly. Ribs...His eyes shine. They can see in the dark...Eyes!" (Shaffer 71). Another reference being made to god's all Seeing Eye. The Final meal that Jesus shared with his apostles before his crucifixion was the last supper; it is represented when Alan feeds Equus a lump of sugar. It is during this time, where he kneels before the horse, palms upward and joined together and he speaks to Equus; "take my sins. Eat them away for my sake" (Shaffer 70). Since Jesus was in chains for the sins of the world, Alan pays of his sins by a lump of sugar, that Equus accepts as a sin offering. In the end, he mounts Equus and rides into the fields of Ha- Ha. The author draws attention to the spear that pierced Jesus, during his crucifixion. During Alan's ride with Equus, their bodies collide and Alan is hurt. " Knives in his [Equus] skin. Little knives - all inside my [Alan] legs "(Shaffer 72). Alan feels the pain that his god dealt with.

Nugget was not just another horse, it was his only source to freedom, to live the life a modern citizen, not influenced by modern society and also a source for him to express his sexual desires. On the night of his journey through the field of Ha-ha, he demolishes the ideas and boundaries put forward by modern society, anything that poses a threat to him and his savior is tramples them. As a team, they rode against their foes," The Hosts of Philco...The Hosts of Gymkhana"(Shaffer 73). Philco represents brands from electric shop that Alan used to work at, and Gymkhana's represent clothes placed on horses. This whole ride in the mist, began as spiritual night, the speech that he recites becomes an orgasmic event end like a prayer, concluding with "Amen"(Shaffer 74). Going back to the time where Alan loved and worshipped the picture of the horse, he draws a connection between what his mother told him about sex. Sex is not just a biological matter, but also a spiritual one. "That if God willed, he would fall in love one day" (Shaffer 35). The horse was an object of worship, which he has know turned it into his ways of sexual pleasure.

Religion makes us believe that god exist everywhere and everything, and Alan knows that. Alan's act of defiance was caused by factors that made him blind the horses. When he met his father at a pornographic film, when he understood that his mother causes his fathers actions, and when he committed a sin, by taking a girl named Jill to his holy of holies. He committed a sin, by having a sexual experience at his church, this not only brought him shame, but also knew that god seest everything. Alan's god was in the room next door. Disgraced by what he had done, he knew the pain, jealousy Equus felt, and also knew the outcomes. This could completely ruin his relationship with Equus, therefore he picks up the horse pick and stabs the eyes of all the horses present there, gently speaking "Equus...Noble Equus... Faithful and True...Godslave...Thou-God-Seest-NOTHING!"(Shaffer 105). Alan belief has been crippled, believing that he has blocked god's vision completely, and now god wouldn't judge him for the acts he commits.

Could someone please help me proof read this essay. Also please tell me what i need to fix, or change. I'm an still working on a conclusion. Your help is much appreciated.
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
that was a good attempt... what was the purpose to write this... any exam practice or for fun (like me)?????
OP Equus 1 / 1  
Hey, This essay is actually for class, due to tomorrow. Just wanted to see whether i had to change things are not. Should i fix anything in it?
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
i just read it... did no proof reading... now going to read again... will report you if any...:)

Home / Book Reports / "Take my sins. Eat them for my sins....."; Based on Peter Shaffer's play " Equus"