Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 22

Thousand Spledid Suns - Provoking Essay topic suggestions?

Banhan 1 / 6  
Thousand Splendid Suns:

I just finished reading this book and im kinda stumped on an essay topic, do you guys have any suggestions for one that is thought provoking? im really in need of a 95+ in this so ur suggestions would be much appropriated :):)
Yayz 10 / 121  
You need to think of a prompt?
You can try something relating to one of themes, symbols, characters, et cetera

After reading the novel, what do you think you gained most from it? Devise a prompt that would make someone describe and explain your insight
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
ahh sorry uhm whats a "prompt"?
Yayz 10 / 121  
Like, "Explain how Moby Dick is an allegory" or "Write an essay about how the colour blue makes you feel"
I'm not quite sure what you want here.
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
ahh i mean like a thesis or like a theme of what the essay should be on, i was thinking of something related to women and their rights...
Yayz 10 / 121  
That sounds good, did you want to expand that? Then you can try to think about how this novel addresses that question in a unique way
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
mhm well ya thats the part im kind of stuck on... trying to make it unique and such, i just had in mind of all the mistreatment the women in the book receive do you have any suggestions for me?
Yayz 10 / 121  
"In the daytime, the girl was no more than a creaking bedspring, a patter of footsteps overhead."

What does that make you feel/think of?

I just flipped to a random page in the book...sometimes referencing a specific quote (or a random one, in any case) helps me get my ideas churning. Did you annotate the novel? Was there a quote or part that had a deep impression on you?
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
hmm i think its saying they are insignificant in the day time and is definately not right to treat women like that. am i right? :S sorry lol im not very good at analyzing this stuff :/
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Hey Ben

I've read that book. If I may suggest, you can talk about the childhood of Mariam. How she always had to stay within the boundaries of her mother's home, or her mother's suicide, and how circumstances forced her (Mariam's mother) to take such an extreme step. These are just examples.

I'm not very good at this. Others will give you better advice.
Yayz 10 / 121  
Well, I read the Kite Runner & I have this book, but I have not gotten around to reading it (I am currently plowing my way through Joyce--I'll take a moment to go off topic here and recommend him to you) so I cannot comment on how accurate that is. However,...

im not very good at analyzing this stuff

You should never underestimate yourself! You can succeed if you put your mind to it. Literature is not a math problem with only one solution, it is an art that can have many interpretations. If something isn't written in a large, heavy literature book, it can still be a valid interpretation. Have you heard of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Well if art is beauty and literature is art, then anyone, including you, can interpret it. Obviously there are limits--namely, an idea should be supported by the text--but my point is that you should not discredit yourself. The more confident you are in your abilities, the smoother shall be the path by which the ideas come to you. As long as you can validly support it with examples from the text, even if it isn't in that scary textbook (in fact, if you do a good job your teacher may appreciate it even more because of its unique perspective), you will be on your way :-)
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
ahh okay thanks, oh so you haven't read thousand splendid suns? dang it! xD hmmm im so stuck on what my thesis and should be :S
OP Banhan 1 / 6  
okay so i have made some progress and this is my intro so far, can anyone edit it plz??

Jean Jacques Rousseau once said, "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains." The iconic quote has come to represent how freedom is a widely interpreted term around the world. While some may see it as a privilege, others argue that it is given to everyone once they are born. In a period of time filled with religious and political turmoil, freedom was the last thing on their minds. The Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan caused chaos inside the nation, which causes separation resulting to a revolution to rise up.

i need help on my thesis, my focus is that, family, society, and religion lead to women being treated unfairly any ideas? :S
Ha ha, this is a great thread.

If you need a high score, the thing to do is ask the teacher what will earn a high score. When she answers, she has sort of agreed to give a high score if you fulfill the requirements.

If she already provided grading criteria or a rubric, you should start each paragraph with a sentence that clearly shows that you are following the rubric.

But go beyond that idea of earning a good grade, and write something truly inspired.

Do not waste time floating around in the book. What passage do you remember best? What page? Go to that page.

Read slowly. Housaini's ideas will make you have ideas of your own. When you are breathing deeply and feeling wakeful, your mind will respond with ideas that deserve deep consideration. When your mind comes up with a new insight -- something you have never thought of before -- your essay is already complete before you write it!

Write a sentence that expresses your unique insight. Perhaps you will compare gender oppression with some other injustice.

Perhaps your essay will be one big metaphor, and the first paragraph will end with a sentence that says, "gender oppression is a swivel chair that only swivels left."

Read some essays about gender oppression and traditional gender roles... not just in that society but in other societies, too... and see the clever, poetic observations that are made.

One essay = one big idea
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
gender oppression is a swivel chair that only swivels left

Wow! I can see why YOU are the moderator (read expert). That is some metaphor.

Housaini's

It's Hosseini
Yayz 10 / 121  

I second that motion! Kevin, you are quite the role model!
Ha ha, thanks. And thanks for helping me figure out how to spell that name!

You can make a metaphor out of anything. It is like a game.

How can you make a gender oppression metaphor about ... war?
Patriarchy is a general in an army. Gender oppression is the general's decision not to accept advice, the act of pulling rank just because you can.

You can make anything into a metaphor for anything if you think of the underlying principle.
Gender oppression might be compared to something in a big business, too.

How can you make a business metaphor about gender oppression?
Yayz 10 / 121  
Market shares? Like how in Business the large, powerful corporations (men) try to keep their profit (power) and in doing so they weaken the smaller companies (women) or try to keep them down (oppression). o.O Not as creative as a swivel chair, but I gave it a shot XD
Yayz 10 / 121  
I also wanted to mention that I can't help feeling that the "swivel chair" metaphor was inspired by a swivel chair...they are very common nowadays...o.O
Acinonyx 1 / 3  
Swivel chair... pure $$$. :)
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Gender oppression is the investment in industry that shuns agriculture. -- Does that sound nonsensical?...umm...well I tried anyway.
Ha ha, you are interesting people.

I can't help feeling that the "swivel chair" metaphor was inspired by a swivel chair

Yes, it was inspired by a swivel chair. It was the first thing I saw when I looked around for something to make into a metaphor, ha ha...

Home / Book Reports / Thousand Spledid Suns - Provoking Essay topic suggestions?