Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

'ow Willy causes suffering' - Essay on Death of a salesman

dcho1 1 / -  
"Discuss how Willy causes suffering for two characters in the play"

Please point out any grammatical, structural errors that need amendments and any opinions on areas of improvement will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Willy in 'Death of a Salesman,' by Arthur Miller loses sense of reality as he nears the end of his downfall. His breakdown affects himself, but Biff and Linda are negatively affected by Willy's illusions. Biff suffers from his father's unwillingness to liberate Biff from his expectation that has been continuous since high school. On the other hand, Linda is agonized by Willy's dishonorable behaviors such as, paying of debts with money given from life insurance. Therefore Willy's delusions, not only affects himself, but also inflicts agony to Biff and Linda.

Willy has dominant power over his family therefore through his delusion, he creates fantasy world for Biff by persuading him that he "[has] what it takes" to make it in the business environment. In reality, Biff cannot achieve this greatness until he confronts with this illusion. Since Willy has been feeding Biff with lies of how "well liked" he is, Biff firmly believes he will succeed out in the business world without any failure. However when he realizes that he is not fit for a sales career, Biff is perplexed of why he cannot succeed though Willy has been assuring of his success. Nonetheless, Willy still does not give up on Biff to follow his footsteps of achieving the American Dream, while Biff has come to a conclusion that he has no talent in sales. When Biff meets up with Willy at the restaurant to confess the truth, Willy dives deeper into his delusion to the point where Biff is practically imploring Willy to "let [him] out of it." Hence, Biff's suffers from Willy's hopeless expectation, which Willy puts faith up until his tragic death.

In the same manner as Biff's affliction, Linda suffers internally from Willy's illusion. Because Linda knows so well about Willy than any other characters in the story, she suffers the greatest, yet keeps it silent. For instance, she already recognizes that Willy is paying off bills by lent money from Charley, yet she just encourages him that he is "doing wonderful" or that he will "do better." Consequently, Linda never shows signs of distress to Willy, but talks to her sons- about Willy's attempt of suicide and pretending that income is from "his pay." Linda is "ashamed to... mention" Willy of her sufferance because she knows Willy will be suffering more if he is exposed to the truth.

In conclusion, both Biff and Linda suffer greatly due to Willy's delusions, however the effect is distinct between Biff and Linda. Biff has been limited of his choices in life where what his father wants is always the right choice, whereas Linda suffers internally of Willy's dishonesty as the author suggest that one's negativity affects its surroundings.
I would start off with more of an "introductory" opening statement.
Willy in 'Death of a Salesman,' by Arthur Miller loses sense of reality as he nears the end of his downfall. His breakdown affects himself, but Biff and Linda are negatively affected by Willy's illusions as well. Biff suffers from his father's unwillingness to liberate Biffhim from his expectation that has been continuous since high school. Ok, this sentence could be revised for clarity with the him and his; maybe re-word it so it's easier to follow.

In conclusion, both Biff and Linda suffer greatly due to Willy's delusions, however the effect is distinct between Biff and Linda. Biff has been limited of his choices in life wherein that what his father wants is seems to always be the right choice, whereas Linda suffers internally of Willy's dishonesty as the author suggest that one's negativity affects its surroundings.

Home / Book Reports / 'ow Willy causes suffering' - Essay on Death of a salesman