Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 5

How to write a comparison essay about to kill a mockingbird

mmm 1 / 2  
Is this a good opening paragraph for a comparison essay on To kill a mockingbird, Atticus vs Uncle Jack in parenting?

A child's mind works and runs in only one direction. To a place where the sun shines and the grass is greener and where they can follow in their parent's footsteps, in hopes of maybe one day wearing their size of shoe. A child's mind is sometimes difficult for an adult to understand, because of its innocence and simplicity. Sometimes it is difficult to see the world through the eyes of child, when through an adult's it is evident that there is much more than just happiness and rainbows. Based on Atticus and Uncle Jack's methods of dealing with Scout when she swears and when she asks for the definition of a whore lady in the ninth chapter, it is proven that each brother is opposite the other in terms of parenting.
psitutor - / 16  
I think that is a descriptive introduction. I would use "whore lady" though.
OP mmm 1 / 2  
Thank you very much. I plan to post the rest of the essay soon, and proof reading this next material would be much appreciated.
OP mmm 1 / 2  
How to write a To Kill a Mockingbird comparison essay #2

This is a comparison essay on Atticus vs Uncle Jack in parenting. 4 paragraphs.

A child's mind works and runs in only one direction. To a place where the sun shines and the grass is greener and where they can follow in their parent's footsteps, in hopes of maybe one day wearing their size of shoe. A child's mind is sometimes difficult for an adult to understand, because of its innocence and simplicity. Sometimes it is difficult to see the world through the eyes of child, when through an adult's it is evident that there is much more than just happiness and rainbows. Based on Atticus and Uncle Jack's methods of dealing with Scout when she swears and when she asks for the definition of a "whore lady" in the ninth chapter, it is proven that each brother is opposite the other in terms of parenting.

Atticus' parenting style is proven to be exceptional when handling the disciplining of Scout, in To Kill a Mockingbird. As Scout turns to swearing in the ninth chapter, Atticus is able to see the legitimate reason behind it. "Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they're not attracting attention with it." (Lee, 87) Atticus appears to have a full understanding as to why Scout is using such foul language. He can see that Scout's behavior is not abnormal and that the inappropriate words are meant for attention purposes only. Scout also questions in this chapter, the meaning of a whore lady, which is a word that is extremely inappropriate. "When a child asks you something, answer him back, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it." (Lee, 87) Atticus states that it is wise to inform a child of what is wrong at an early stage. He understands that it is in a child's nature to wonder about topics that are not entirely appropriate and he sees that children often find the ugly things in life, such as swearing, a way to make them seem older. When a child is better aware of the crude nature of words that sparked Scout's curiousity and shown that the calling for attention in an inappropriate manner, will teach the child to have discretion toward certain words.

Unlike Atticus, Uncle Jack's understanding of children is limited, and is proven in his attempts to discipline Scout. In spite of Atticus' insight on Scout's swearing, Uncle Jack sees it as uttering profanity, which should not be tolerated. "I'll be here a week, and I don't want to hear and words like that while I'm here. Scout, you'll get into trouble if you go around saying things like that. You want to grow up to be a lady, don't you?" (Lee, 79). Uncle Jack's understanding of Scout doing blaspheme was more in a manner of wreaking havoc with no alternate reasons. When Uncle Jack is questioned about a whore lady by Scout, he decides the topic to be to vulgar, as opposed to Atticus. "Uncle Jack plunged into another long tale about an old Prime Minister who sat in the House of Commons and blew feather in the air and tried to keep them there when all about him men were losing their heads." (Lee, 87). Opposite Atticus' feelings, which see that Scout should receive the legitimate definition of the word, Uncle Jack believes that a child is not at the ideal maturity to understand something of this nature. He is blind to the wisdom of his brother, and instead of deciding to educate his niece in proper language, he decided to brush aside the learning opportunity. He doesn't understand that a child would want extra attention by being foul mouthed. In this chapter, Uncle Jack is having complications seeing through the eyes of Scout. As Uncle Jack chooses to leave Scout in the dark about the inappropriate topics, it establishes that his parenting skills are truly lacking.

In conclusion, Atticus and Uncle Jack's parenting styles definitely differ in the situations that involve Scout swearing and requesting the meaning of an inappropriate word. It is clear, after reading Atticus' point of view that over all children do things, that appear as misbehaving and acting out to adults, for different reasons. If not for extra attention, in which he may feel he is lacking, a child may carry out these misdemeanours because of unavoidable curiousity. The fact that most adults do not see through the eyes of a child, as Atticus does, carries out the misunderstandings between child and parent, in which throws away a lifelong learning experience for both persons on either end of the relationship.
This intro needs a colon, and let's change to to toward because we are talking about a direction:

A child's mind works and runs in only one direction: toward a place where the...

And then lets' use brighter and greener:
...where the sun shines brighter and the grass is greener, and where they can follow in their parents' footsteps -- in hopes of maybe one day wearing their size of shoe. ----- this still seems complex! Is this "one direction," or is it many? is it necessary to argue "one direction," or is it better to argue "unexpected directions?"

Home / Book Reports / How to write a comparison essay about to kill a mockingbird