Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

How to write a great critique!

meshaal 3 / 7  
Hi, tommorrow ( i know i spelled that wrong) I will be writing my first critique that gets marked. I would like to know how to do it properly and well. ( my english makrs are on the low, and I really need to bring it up). So I looked at this peiece of document that the teacher gave us and though if you guys could add on to it? like certain detail or wat to do. By the way we are allowed to use our notes.

____________________________________________________________ _____________
Critique template given by teacher :
Introduction. Write a brief summary of the central topic or issues addressed in the article or essay that you have been asked to critique. State the writer's topic and thesis, and briefly describe the process by which s/he examines or explains the thesis. Be sure to mention what form of writing is used (description, narration, persuasion, argumentation or information). Decide whether the text persuades or not and why it does or does not do so. Check for obvious biases, flawed logic, false arguments and so on. Write a position statement-your thesis-that you can use to centre your response. Examine the diction, syntax, literary devices and tone of the essay.

Diction. Examine the writer's choice of words. Choose samples of his/her word choice and explain how these words are used. Obviously, you should look for samples that have some emotion attached to them. Explain how the connotation of such words might affect the audience. For example, if a writer were writing about "teenage gangs" and called the members of such gangs "social excrement," what is the writer's bias in using such terms? What would the writer's target audience be?

Syntax. Examine the writer's overall style. Is the essay composed of mostly short, abrupt sentences? Long, tedious sentences? A mixture of long and short? Are the paragraphs easy to follow? Does one paragraph flow into the next? Does the writer stay on topic? Is the writing style logical? Sample areas of the essay that show:

(a) how the overall writing style is effective
(b) how the overall writing style is weak
(c) areas of strength and/or weakness

Remember this paragraph examines writing style and not the writer's content.
Rhetorical Devices. Explain the effectiveness of any rhetorical devices that the writer uses. Such devices include such things as imagery, analogy, allusions, anecdote, examples, paradox, irony, sarcasm, satire. Each rhetorical device must be explained in a separate paragraph. But choose no more than three.

Rhetorical Devices same as above

Rhetorical Devices same as above

Tone. Explain your view of the writer's attitudes towards the subject of the essay, towards the people (audience) reading the essay, or towards him/herself. Often, you will need to account for what appeals the writer might be using in the essay - appeals to character? to celebrity? to logic? to emotion?

Conclusion. Write your concluding paragraph to include a reference to the essay you critique, a consolidation of the points you have raised, and the result of the reasoning you have applied: your conclusion, that is, your position statement in different words. Offer your reader a suggestion as to the worthiness of reading the essay that you have just critiqued.

____________________________________________________________ __________________
Your help has so far been very appreciated ( that is spelled right?)
If you are trying to improve your grade, I think you should focus only on the teacher's criteria. That means that, instead of seeking advice about what other elements to add to the paper, you should focus deeply on the thesis, diction, style, etc. Show the teacher that you are attending to each concept.

Instead of looking for other concepts to consider, look for a deeper understanding of each concept. For example, Google this: article critique syntax

... and that will show you how to write about syntax. You'll see how other people have critiqued syntax.

While writing the paper, write a paragraph for each concept, and you'll get an A!
Yes, you should definitely focus on meeting the criteria you have been given. If you write up a draft and then post it here, we can read your work and let you know if you have been successful in doing so.

Home / Book Reports / How to write a great critique!