Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 6

Field of Linguistics, anyone?

mikitung 2 / 3  
I'm stressed up on how to improve my standard of English in academic writing. My lecturer said that my language is very "grave" and she rejected my proposal.

I feel demotivated... and it slammed my hope in graduating from my Master degree.
I lost hope. I do not know why I wanted to start my Masters anyway. and now I'm stuck in the field of linguistic. And I do not know what else or what is interesting...

please help.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

First of all, I know from personal experience that the Masters degree process is difficult and it is very frustrating at times. Before I was published in order to graduate I don't know how many times I shed tears of sheer frustration. Keep your head up and know that when you doget to the other side (because you will) that you will look back at this time and realize how far you have come; you will feel much more proud and will hold your head up higher.

Did your instructor give you any other specifics besides "grave?" If you would like to post a piece of your text here I can take a look at it and make suggestions as to what I see. Is it mechanics (grammar, syntax, etc.) or is it content (course material)?

Don't quit; you've come so far.
OP mikitung 2 / 3  
Thanks Gloria.

My lecturer meant the level of my English. As English is not my first language, it is rather difficult for me to grasp the 'actual' or the argumentative tactic used in academic writing.

I've to agree with her that I'm not good in English. But I have to deny and protest with all my might when she accused me of not reading the works of others. I did. But the problem is I did not absorb much. And I can't be turned into an English genius overnight.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
You're right in that no one can turn "genius" over night. Perhaps you have not found your most effective learning style. Some students learn best by reading, others by hearing lectures, and yet others by writing down notes. A suggestion for you to try; see if you can find out what kind of learner you are. Do you absorb best when you hear information? What about seeing it written down? What about if you write it down yourself, as you do when taking notes? Or better yet, what about associating "doodles" with your information? For instance, do you doodle when you think, or listen to lectures? If so, this might be the most effective path for you to choose. Use the "chunking" method of memorization; that is, associate information in groups and relate it to something else; a picture, a sound, a memory. For instance; the best way to remember that a verb describes an action is to associate the word "verb" with the word "vibrate," which is motion. Thus, verb=vibrate=motion, leading you to remember that a verb=motion.

What about music? Do you study best when listening to music? Learning style studies have shown that we best remember information when the environment is very close to that which it was when the information entered out brains. For instance, if you listen to music when you study, you should try to listen to the same music when you take your tests (if possible).

What about movement? Try walking around, eating, chewing gum, or playing with a "koosh-ball" or other object when you study. Likewise, try to repeat this behavior when you take your tests.

Try some of these things while you work; some will help you, others won't. Don't get discouraged quickly if you don't find your "magic button." Everyone has it, but some people go their whole lives not knowing what works for them.

In regards to learning the language, English is one of the most difficult languages to master; you won't get it overnight, and the only way you're going to improve is to keep working with it. I took three years of German and didn't have a full grasp of it until I went to Germany and was immersed in it; it really didn't have meaning until I was "living" it. That's the secret to learning a language; "living" it. Academic writing is even more difficult because it is so strict and formal; you really do have to mean exactly what you are saying so that there is very little room for "creative interpretation." Again, the only way to get more familiar with it is to jump right in.

As to your professor's lack of tact with you and accusing you of not doing the work, some people are just jerks, including professors. One thing that is important to do is to take a step back and ask yourself if this person did this because they believe you are capable of great things, and they are making things "more difficult" for you because they expect more? Perhaps your instructor thinks that "tough love" will push you to work harder, or that you are on the cusp of something profound? That is more often than not the stance many professors take. Take a step back and try really hard not to take it personally.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP mikitung 2 / 3  
Thanks Gloria.

You're like a shining star in the dark.

I'll try to work out what you've said. By the way, do you think that living in non-English environment is much more difficult for one to grasp English? I speak Chinese whole day long. Though I know several languages, but am expert in none. I just know how to read, write and speak. When coming to write it "professionally", things go haywire. That's the sad case. Not being able to go oversea to study has been one of the biggest regret of my life. Dad spent all money on my brother for his studies in Australia and I've to study locally. =(

Thanks anyway. I'll try to do what I can.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I absolutely do. Try to get as much English exposure as you can. Do you have anything like a "language cafe" where you are? These are places where immersion in the language is required; everyone in the establishment is required to speak the target language (usually English) and this creates sort of a "language pool" for non-native speakers to dive into.

Keep trying! Best of luck!

Home / Dissertations / Field of Linguistics, anyone?