Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 5

The Passionate Shepherd Thesis statement

antdance011 2 / 6  
Thesis Statement

The passionate yet lonely shepherd wants a lady to come live him and be his love Christopher Marlowe is simply trying to capture the joy of simple and uncomplicated love. Although the shepherd knows he's not rich he will offer her all the pleasures that nature provides. Then later on in life he will give his love all the expensive gifts and more that will make her happy. The shepherd is offering his proposal for her love throughout the entire poem.

needs advice please
LisaTheKidd 2 / 7  
The passionate yet lonely shepherd wants a lady to come live with him and be his love.Christopher Marlowe is simply trying to capture the joy of simple and uncomplicated love.This sentence makes it seem as though he's failed. I'd say, "C. Marlowe's poem captures the joy of uncomplicated love" Although the shepherd knows he's not rich he will offer her all the pleasures that nature provides. Then later on in life he will give his love all the expensive gifts and more that will make her happy. The shepherd is offering his proposal for her love throughout the entire poem.we know this already from the first sentence.

This last sentence is a good spot for an opinionated thesis, such as,
"Using imagery of nature, an uncomplicated rhyming scheme, and romantic tone, Marlowe offers a simple, well-meaning hero worthy of his heart's desire" or if you think he's out of his league with this girl, you might say, "The tragic protagonist of "The Passionate Shepherd to his Love" uses his simple prose and promises of a grander future to entice the woman of his dreams, though it is clear that her tastes will prevent this inauspicious proposal from success."

The key to a thesis is using what's in front of you to form an opinion, then backing it up.

Hope I've helped a bit!
OP antdance011 2 / 6  
have you ever read this poem
You indicated that this is a thesis statement, but this is not how to write a thesis statement. What you write here is information. Information is great to put in the first paragraph of the essay. But the thesis statement will probably be written at the end of the first paragraph, and it should make a clever suggestion about the poem. To write a good thesis statement, you have to try to observe something about the poem that perhaps nobody ever observed before... it is your own unique way of seeing it.

That does not mean you have to figure out something nobody ever figured out; it just means you have yo be yourself and -- after deeply contemplating the poem and perhaps reading some reviews of it -- make YOUR unique contribution to the ongoing conversation about it.

:-)

Home / Dissertations / The Passionate Shepherd Thesis statement