Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 8

PhD topic in American studies / Literature criticism

kanjo 1 / 1  
Good day to all
Please could you help me come out with something.
I have tried to come out with phd topic in American studies/literature but each time my ideas dont seem to fit.
I wish to come out with an original topic that can be very contributive in academics.
I think of the American black civil rights movement, nineteen century American literature expecially the works of Richard Wright.
Could any one please help me on some ideas to the above
thanks
james kanjo
changeurfeet 2 / 8  
Hi Kanjo,
Have you tried "The effects of Richard Wright's novels on Desegregation in the South"
You should read some articles that interest you, and pay attention to the literature reviews. That means you should look at all the recent articles people have written and see what the current "state" of the literature is.

It is like a big conversation that goes on and on with all the people interested in American studies participating in it. Every time you write something, it is like contributing to the conversation.

So... you have to read and read. Read all the article that have been written about your topic recently.
What is the most recent article you have seen about Wright's work? What would be your response to that author?

You can do it! It is enjoyable, because this is the topic you are interested in. So, finding your topic is just like figuring out something to say in a conversation.

:-)
OP kanjo 1 / 1  
good day sir

I would try to read some of those lterature reviews as you have proposed. some times we dont have acess to enough material here in Africa. For example i am in Cameroon now and to acesss to some of these material is difficult because the universites here dont have a good data base.

In any case if you have some other proposal you could still help me with it.

I just need to come out with a PHD topic that looks mature.
Thanks alot
James kanjo

Okay, I understand what you mean. Well, if you want to have a lot of inspiration, you can focus on a specialized topic that excites you. For example, I wonder if you are interested in American capitalism and the way it affects the American health care delivery system. All the other industrialized nations seem to have a more efficient system, but American conservatives believe that free market forces are the source of American innovation. The free market makes a situation where many people profit from health care, and that makes it more expensive. Some Americans want a national system, and others fear government-run health care.

What do you think? Should America have a single-payer health care system?

I also want to tell you that a Questia membership can be helpful if you do not have access to a good database. Questia costs some $$, though.

Good luck!!
samermayyas - / 2  
PhD in Literature and Criticism ; Need ideas

Hello Everyone!
I am trying my very best to come up with an idea for studying PhD in Literature and Criticism. Anyone can help me or directing me to a new topic that i can explore more on it. Just feel confused! Thanks all in advance!
Bubba - / 13  
I've always been interested in how writing compares across different cultures. Philosophical books of America differ from books in Russia, such as the Brothers Karamazov.

Good luck!
samermayyas - / 2  
Yes, but this becomes comparative literature. Thanks

Home / Dissertations / PhD topic in American studies / Literature criticism