Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 2

Retail managment research: TESCO as a retail store

Amer 1 / -  
I 'am an MSc Business Administration student, I have an interest in retail management industry, particularly in TESCO as a retail store.
I want to research Tesco business management style in delivering competitive advantage. It's an interesting area for me. The problem is am not able to narrow down my research topic in an effective way. My idea is to research how Tesco delivers competitive advantage. How the cost strategy Tesco following is effective for customers. How does the customer club card they issued have an impact on customers? How the growth strategy they applied gained them competitive advantage. How did the leadership style of Tesco become effective?

Those are my rough ideas about the topic. Can you help in formulating my research question!? I tried hard to put those aspects into a research question but I couldn't. What are the areas of literature behind these aspects! How can I formulate a research question describing those intentions!? What would be a research question describing the business management style and strategy for Tesco!? What areas could I narrow down to!?

This interest had developed from the module Strategic Perspectives we had. And I became more interested in discovering Tesco business strategy as a retail store. Looking forward to hear back from to advice me how shall I organise my ideas in an academic way.

Kind regards,
Amer
zowzow 10 / 175  
Before we begin, just a couple of questions/clarifications

isn't it comparative advantage not competitive? if we are talking about economy here that is
if not then don't worry about it

Also how long is this research paper? It may make a difference in terms of what you can write about and not be able to include etc

When I go about choosing a research topic for a broad area like this, I like to start with a general, still broad question about the topic of choice. Like for this, I would probably go with literally what you've put down, "What measures/factors allow TESCO to gain comparative advantage in the competitive global market?" or something along those lines. Because afterall, you don't always start off a paper like this knowing everything about the company/topic of choice, so you still want to leave some room for change/improvements as you begin your paper.

You would have around 1 page intro describing for the reader 1) what you will be researching about 2) little bit of background if necessary but most importantly 3) WHY it is important. Because if you don't tell them why your paper is important, then whats the point of doing it let alone reading it?

then you want to pick couple of areas you think gives TESCO its comparative advantage. still broad but more specific factors. I don't know much about this so I can't help you content wise but factors like its location (in terms of accessibility, competition and transportation) advertising (if any) consumer image etc. You probably know more about this than I do haha

But basically, fill the body up with different areas you think gives TESCO the comparative advantage and have at least 1 page conclusion bringing it all together. In addition, I like to have a page or two discussing about not only the company's present situation, but the future trends and outlooks.

Anyway sorry about the ramble. Good luck

Home / Dissertations / Retail managment research: TESCO as a retail store