Home / Dissertations   % width Posts: 2

What the theory I should use to examine a sojourner's process of adaptation?

Ilmiyatin 1 / 3  
Anyone who finds my writing, please correct it and give me building critiques and suggestion. Thankyou.

I'm writing my thesis right now. My object of study is Andrea Hirata's Edensor. this novel tells about Ikal, the main character, who travels European countries, Russia, and also roam Africa. He gets this opportunity because he is a student of one of a university in France and he gets a Schengen visa to roam European countries freely. And he gets the opportunity to visit Africa because he is a holder of OIC (Organisation of Islamic Countries).

In his journey, he discovers some differences of those new places's cultural background with his original culture. Apparently, Ikal is an Indonesian boy in this novel. some culture shock symptoms must appear in the process of discovering those differences. Therefore, Ikal has to face it and make himself adaptable in those places.

Concerning with that object of study, I am using cultural study as the approach of my study and I am using acculturation theory. But, apparently, my lecture tells me that I have to change my theory. Because Ikal is not an immigrant but he is a sojourner. Then the using of acculturation theory is not applicable with his case in adaptation. My lecture suggests me to observe Ikal's process of adaptation in those places by using 3 optional perspectives; cultural differences, culture clash or culture shock.

If one of you know what the theory I should use regarding with those 3 optional perspectives, please notice me. I really need help to finish my thesis. Any building critiques about my error grammars or unappropriate words in my writing will be much appreciated, as well as any information and also suggestions to solve my problem. Thankyou very much.

Ilmiyatin N.
this novel tells about Ikal, the main character, who travels European countries, Russia, and also roam Africa. He gets this opportunity because he is a student of one of a university in France and he gets a Schengen visa to roam European countries freely. And he gets the opportunity to visit Africa because he is a holder of OIC (Organisation of Islamic Countries).

... you need to rephrase these lines in order to improve clarity;
This novel is about Ikal, the main character, who travels in Europe, Russia and Africa. He gets the opportunity to travel in these countries freely because he was granted Schengen visa being a student in one of the French Universities and also he is a holder of OIC (Organisation of Islamic Countries) .

Home / Dissertations / What the theory I should use to examine a sojourner's process of adaptation?