Why is academic writing so hard to read and write? - my essay topic

caomj 1 / 2  
I am writing a final soon and I have a feeling that this is the topic of my essay.

What makes academic writing so hard to read?
What makes academic writing so hard to write?

Please give any idea you have. One idea is better than no idea..

Here is my little list:

-Jargon (hard to read)
-No absolute statements (hard to write)
-Respect other scholars (hard to write)
sound10kp 5 / 12  
- Big words
- Cover too broad topics
Academic writing is difficult to read only when it is either covering a topic that the reader does not understand or when it is written without any inspiration.

You might start with a quote from Kahlil Gibran: "If you must indeed be candid, be candid beautifully. Otherwise, keep quiet, for there is a person who is dying in our neighborhood." You can probably find that on the Internet somewhere.

Academic writing is candid, but writers often feel that if they are being candid and obeying the rules (of MLA or APA or CHICAGO, or whatever citation style they are using), that it is not necessary to write beautifully.

When you read a book that is written as entertainment, the writing will be beautiful. When you read a book that was written to instruct, the fact that the author has a purpose other than to please the reader provides an excuse to not bother writing beautifully.

Reading writing that is not beautiful is like listening to awful music.
cmcy1010 1 / 2  
the reason for writing essay is,it's the easiest way to show whether students understand or not.
jojo210 - / 1  
alot of research would make it alot easier
Noob in writing 5 / 25  
A little off topic ("undergraduate academic experience") - is that OK?

Maybe more than a little off topic:

The essay question asks for "undergraduate academic experience". However I spent about 40% of the essay talking about academic experience and the other 60% talking about a transformation on the spiritual level of my personality. Do you think that it is OK? Or should I modify my essay to talk more about academic? It is a B-School application essay.

Thanks!
isai 12 / 111  
It should be equal with the evidence

Regards

Sai
Noob in writing 5 / 25  
Hi Sai,

Do you mean academic and non-academic contents should be of equal weight?
isai 12 / 111  
yes if you have supporting documents

Home / Essays / Why is academic writing so hard to read and write? - my essay topic