'How you can achieve this or that..' - How to answer such essay prompts?

prompter 4 / 18  
Hey everyone,

I need help in writing out essays for college supplements.

Almost all the questions say that how can you achieve this at *bla bla* university. Can someone please provide me some help on answering such questions? I need some strong points that fit in such essays well and come out of the page. Has anyone got any?
Well, how should we know what points you can make about yourself answering the question of how you would be a good student? Ideally, though, you will tailor each question to the exact prompt and university you are applying for. Research each one, and find out what they are looking for in a candidate. Then, try and think of experiences you have had that show that you possess those characteristics, relying on detailed narrative anecdotes to do the job for you, instead of making unverifiable statements about yourself.
diiaa36 2 / 14  
well just talk about how u have achieved something in your life and how they will reflect in your college life
treehugger77 3 / 4  
A strategy is to evaluate the question in relation to the profile and charteristics of the university. Example if a school, perhaps Mudd/MIT are highly focused on science, math those areas that are more linear in nature, then tayloring your answer to the more abstract, less "touchy feely" would be appropriate.
OP prompter 4 / 18  
I know what you guys mean to say. I should write personal experiences that show my interest in the particular area I am applying for. For eg., if I am applying to UPenn for business, I should write personal experience that shows my interest in the field of business. But the problem is how do I say that UPenn business program can help me do this? I mean there are several other universities that have business, why ONLY this university? That's where I need help. Any general strong statements that are impressive?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
What you want to demonstrate is that there is a good "match" between that particular university or program and your particular abilities and aspirations.
patty123 2 / 5  
well
general statements tend to lack power
so try to personalize it
saying "your university" or equivalent throughout ur essay
tal105 7 / 130  
But the problem is how do I say that UPenn business program can help me do this? I mean there are several other universities that have business, why ONLY this university? That's where I need help. Any general strong statements that are impressive?

^^^^ well, youve gotta do research.
like i know it seems like noone does it, because i actually didnt believe it either, but it actually does help.
you can go on their website and look at other things besides business you may be interested in. hint hint, if they have like, the number one debate team, you can say something like "i have an interest in debate, and upenns great debate team will allow me to 'explore' this interest more since it is the number one debate team in the country"

andd you can also take the prompt and copy and paste THE ENTIRE THING into google. see what past ple have written. this helps me A LOT. it shows me the caliber of writing and if im there yet. dont plagerize of course b.c. who does that, but it hlps you to see what the essay should look like u know?

just some ideas :)
remember, their site is there for a reason! go to it!:D

Home / Essays / 'How you can achieve this or that..' - How to answer such essay prompts?