Allusion. Film as lit class

newsha31 19 / 75  
we are making a movie in my class(not a real one, but we go through some writing processes) , my teacher asked us to write an allusion for our movie. allusion is reference to a well-known person, place, or thing in history that adds depth to a character or situation.

my movie is based on one of John Christopher (Samuel Youd) books. the basic idea of the book is freedom of mind. the book takes place in future.

do you think you can help me to come up with an allusion?
just suggest any person or place or thing that you have in mind.

thanks so much.
An obvious allusion might be to the Matrix, which is another movie that takes place in the movie and deals with issues of free will. If you want a real-life, historical personage, you could allude to Augustine, who also talks about free will. There are numerous historical events you might also allude to, depending on the context of any given conversation within your movie.
OP newsha31 19 / 75  
thanks so much.
No problem. If you post the section of your your script in which you make the allusion, people might be able to give you even more feedback.
Awesome, that is great advice! I wonder what prevented you from being able to come up with lots of ideas yourself. It is interesting to think of how thoughts arise in the mind. You sometimes need to think of a few familiar concepts, and then you come up with the perfect idea. Brainstorming is like mustering something up. It's like splashing around in water.

What allusion did you decide to use? Perhaps there is something perfect for your project...
OP newsha31 19 / 75  
I chose Jesus for a character that was going to sacrifise himself. it wasnt the perfec thing but the only thing i had in my mind...
EF_Constance - / 143  
You could also use movies, such as "Minority Report", "Total Recall", "Secret Window", and "Hide and Seek". These would show the effects that freedom and restriction (or control) of the mind!
Remember that the best allusions are indirect. In other words, make sure that your reference doesn't actually include the name "Jesus." Again, if you were to post what you have written, it would make giving further feedback easier.

Home / Essays / Allusion. Film as lit class