"Ambition" essay - how to start it?

romansy 1 / -  
Hello everybody. I'm new here in this forum and I hope you all accept me as friend.

I"m requested to submit an essay about (Ambition) and i don't know how to start. I have no ideas at all as I'm a new student in the university. So anybody could help?
silverystars 14 / 105  
Hello,

Welcome! Something that always helps me in starting on any topic is to read what other people have to say about it. I'll always find things to agree or disagree with, but that is the thing: it helps you to think and analyze, actions which are at the very foundation of a good essay! Here are some quotes:

"Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine." - Elvis Presley

"Ambitious people climb, but faithful people build." - Julia Ward Howe

"It takes people a long time to learn the difference between talent and genius, especially ambitious young men and women." - Louisa May Alcott

"Ambition has one heel nailed in well, though she stretch her fingers to touch the heavens." - Lao Tzu

Perhaps at least one of these quotes will help to kick-start your critical thinking!
Or, you could read Macbeth. That's a good play to get you started thinking about ambition.
Great ideas, here! Like Ned said, it is great to look at some other things that have been written about ambition. And Sean mentioned Shakespeare...

Friends, Romans, countrymen, listen up for a minute! I came here to bury Caesar, now that Brutis stabbed him in the back; I didn't come here to praise him, so you don't have to worry that I'll be trying to convince you of his virtue or anything like that... but I do want to point something out: People have been saying Caesar was ambitious, but do you remember when the crown was first offered to him? Three times we offered him the crown, and three times he refused it! Does that seem like someone who is ambitious?

In my above paraphrasing of Shakespeare, ambition is seen as a bad thing -- the kind of ambition that makes you compromise your principles, perhaps. Similarly, in Chinese philosophy, it is said that you can "do nothing, and nothing will be left undone."

Welcome to EssayForum! I hope you get a lot of good ideas here. Please take some time to read other people's essays and give any advice you have to offer.

In your essay, try writing a few paragraphs based on your own ideas -- is ambition helpful to society? Helpful to the ambitious person? Helpful to one but not the other? After writing a few paragraphs, you'll know what your main idea is, so you can go back to the top of the essay and add an intro paragraph.
gacesaa 6 / 10  
READ SOME HISTORICAL PAPERS ABOUT GREAT LEADERS AND YOU WILL GET YOUR IDEA FOR ESSAY
Sammy 4 / 9  
I agree with gacesaa. Many historical leaders, such as Napolean and Alexander the Great, used their ambition to drive them into succeeding their goals. Good luck!
MoeMoe1 13 / 75  
hey bro go on wiki or seomthing and find historica stuff use it and put it in your own words goodluck
SairaTasartir 5 / 37  
I think a good point to make would be that ambition is fueled by discontent. Unless you are discontented with your current station in life, you will have no ambitions. When you are ambitious, you strive to better yourself-- which is not something you do if you are content with how you now are. Hope that helps!
silverystars 14 / 105  
Here is another one:

"As falls the dew on quenchless sands, blood only serves to wash ambition's hands." - Lord Byron

In other words: ambition can be a bad thing.
babydoll 8 / 39  
I'm ambitious to share my thoughts on this subject. I hope it helps get you started. I agree with the above comments.

"I'm very ambitious student in accomplishing my goals in life. I will do everything that empowers me to become successful and overcome my obstacles."
I'm a very ambitious student...

I'm ambitious about...

I don't know if "ambitious to..." seems quite right.

I'm eager to learn. I'm ambitious about learning. That is how to do it.
FreedomMoto 1 / 5  
Ambition becomes clouded by ignorance. Discuss the ambitions of infamous people. Bankrobbers, murders, cult leader, etc...
Notoman 20 / 419  
Ambition is a pretty broad topic. Think about what kinds of things interest you and see if the topic of ambition would fit into your interests. Like music? The Beatles were considered very ambitious-especially John. History? Napoleon was a pretty fascinating figure. Technology? Bill Gates. It might be interesting to look at how ambition has made people make bad choices or how it has helped people to overcome obstacles.

Good luck with it!
mikethebunny - / 9  
Think about experience in your life where you felt ambitious? What caused those ambitions? When do people feel most ambitious?

Home / Essays / "Ambition" essay - how to start it?